Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » TeSSH Discussion
IainMac
Wanderer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:11 am   

[3.12] Will TeSSH support Rlogin and RAW protocols

Just noticed that after an import of my PuTTY session a few of my sessions were not connecting. On digging further I found that, in PuTTY, I was using Rlogin on port 513 and TeSSH was importing this as Telnet port 513.

So question is, is TeSSH going to support Rlogin and RAW, as PuTTY does and if not, how are those sessions going to be handled when they get imported into TeSSH. Are we going to have a report ala the zMUD import thing ?
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:04 pm   

TeSSH already supports RAW as far as I know. RAW just means a plain socket connection without any other Telnet options or anything, and TeSSH does that by default and always has. I never really understood why PuTTY had a separate option for that, unless I am not understanding what RAW really is.

I doubt I will be supporting Rlogin. That's an old protocol and isn't very secure. And I'd be surprised to see a server that used RLogin that didn't also support Telnet or SSH.

Right now TeSSH just imports all PuTTY sessions regardless of the protocol. I could probably exclude the Rlogin sessions if that was a big problem for people.

Not sure what you need a "report" for. The zMUD Compatibility report was for people using old zMUD scripts that needed to convert to CMUD. TeSSH is aimed as the sysadmin business market, so they shouldn't be needing to convert any old zMUD scripts. Anybody who used zMUD in the past should probably be using CMUDPro, which is a superset of everything in TeSSH along with all of the MUD-related features (including the zMUD import).
mr_kent
Enchanter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:29 am   

Just trying to help here. Please don't blame me if this doesn't apply...

The RAW protocol is the default print protocol for most print devices. To send a job formatted with RAW, the print server opens a TCP stream to the printer's port 9100 or another port number and selects the connections to multiport external devices. For example, on certain print devices port 9101 goes to the first parallel port, 9102 goes to the second parallel port, and so on.

The standard port monitor uses the LPR protocol when you specify LPR protocol during port installation or reconfiguration, or when the RAW protocol cannot be established.

The standard port monitor deviates from the LPR standard in the following ways:

* The standard port monitor does not conform to the RFC 1179 requirement that the source TCP port must lie between port 721 and port 731. The standard port monitor uses ports from the general, unreserved pool of ports (1024 and above).

* The standard port monitor sends a print job to the spooler without determining the actual job size and designates a default job size, regardless of the actual size of the job. The LPR standard states that print jobs must include information about the size of the job the port monitor sends. Sending a print job that contains job size information requires that the port monitor spool the job twice — once to determine size, and once to send the job to the spooler. Spooling the job once, by using the standard port monitor, improves printing performance.

Also—and specific to—PuTTy's raw option.
http://www.hellboundhackers.org/articles/571-Spoofing-HTTP-Requests-with-Putty.html
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:24 pm   

Thanks for the info. Wasn't aware of the LPR stuff. But I'm still pretty sure that TeSSH (and CMUD) work in RAW mode by default, as far as PuTTY RAW mode is concerned. For example, your link about using PuTTY RAW mode to handle HTTP works fine in TeSSH and CMUD already. I've used this myself to log into a remote POP server directly and give it raw commands. And many MUDs essentially use "raw" mode and not strictly Telnet.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » TeSSH Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: