Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Post new topic  Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next
Avasyu
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:00 pm   

IRE and CMUD

Hey folks,

I know there are several little issues with IRE games and CMUD. Rather then try to sort through the forums for all the problems, if you would not mind posting them here I can look into getting as many fixed as possible.

Please be as detailed in your explanation as possible and include any debugging output if you can.

Thanks!
gamma_ray
Magician

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:16 pm   

I was going to make a long post, but I realized there's not that much that I've had to deal with lately. The big one is Midkemia is (was? I don't play) sending Room.Brief with a lowercase first letter, this breaks the automatic mapping.

(Oh hey, someone added Room.Num. Whoever it was, you're my new bestest friend, thanks! -- I don't know if you're waiting to post that in a long fixes post, but I wouldn't have known except I was looking at the debugger. Zugg, you might want to add this to the section of the mapper that works automatically with IRE--at least in Imperian, maybe elsewhere?:
Code:
<pattern>^Room\.Num (\d+)$</pattern>
<value>#tag vnum %1</value>
)
Avasyu
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:41 pm   

Room.Num has only been added to Imperian for the time being. All the other games should have it soon though.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:41 pm   

There is a post over in the MXP Developers Forum where we have been talking more about the RoomNum tag. I plan to support the RoomNum tag a bit better in future CMUD versions so that the mapper can use the RoomNum to uniquely identify rooms instead of relying upon the name and description of the room.

Back to the original post: At one time, IRE MUDs had trouble when using both ATCP and MCCP at the same time. There was a synchronization problem that caused ATCP commands to be buffered incorrectly within the MCCP stream. I emailed Matt about this a few times, and it might have been fixed already. I keep meaning to test it to see if it's still a problem or not.

Btw, great to see someone working on improving IRE with CMUD. That's a big win-win for everyone! I'll try to do what I can on my end to make it easy too.
Avasyu
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:25 am   

One of the hold ups on that was the fact that our main Rapture coder moved to work on Earth Eternal. However, I have enslaved a new rapture coder and we are beating him into submission. I will look into the ATCP/MCCP problem. If you have any more issues let me know.

I will also look into the Room.Brief being lowercase, however that would be hard to have happen on only one game (all the games share the same code for it). I will see what I can find out.
Dumas
Enchanter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:02 am   

I wouldn't mind seeing room descriptions being sent through ATCP. :)
gamma_ray
Magician

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:04 pm   

Zugg wrote:
There is a post over in the MXP Developers Forum where we have been talking more about the RoomNum tag. I plan to support the RoomNum tag a bit better in future CMUD versions so that the mapper can use the RoomNum to uniquely identify rooms instead of relying upon the name and description of the room.

They're not sending it using MXP, they're sending it in ATCP, although I suppose the MXP changes will affect #tag.
Avasyu
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:32 pm   

gamma_ray wrote:
Zugg wrote:

They're not sending it using MXP, they're sending it in ATCP, although I suppose the MXP changes will affect #tag.

Yeah, we are doing ATCP, but we are adding all the MXP room tags for room num, name, desc, and exits as well. For people who prefer that, and for the sake of the mapper.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:40 pm   

Both the RoomNum MXP flag as well as the ATCP Room.Num calls the exact same routine in CMUD. The issue is that CMUD does not use the room number to help determine what room you are it. Improving how CMUD uses the provided room number would make the mapper more reliable.
ReedN
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:29 pm   

This is fantastic! I've wanted a room number via ATCP for ages.

I'll start using it for Achaea as soon as it gets put in. I'm guessing I should use it to set the vnum field for the room and then I can check the vnum field first in my subroutine to determine what room I'm in.

The only irregularities I have seen with CMud and Achaea have been the ATCP/MCCP bug Zugg has already mentioned and a strange ATCP double send every time I enter a room. More specifically when I enter a room the room name and room exits ATCP information will be sent, then the non-ATCP room text will be sent, then I see the ATCP information sent a second time. I'm not sure why this is done, but to be it appeared to be an oversight (possibly) that I coded around when I discovered it.
Avasyu
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:10 pm   

ReedN wrote:
This is fantastic! I've wanted a room number via ATCP for ages.

I'll start using it for Achaea as soon as it gets put in. I'm guessing I should use it to set the vnum field for the room and then I can check the vnum field first in my subroutine to determine what room I'm in.

The only irregularities I have seen with CMud and Achaea have been the ATCP/MCCP bug Zugg has already mentioned and a strange ATCP double send every time I enter a room. More specifically when I enter a room the room name and room exits ATCP information will be sent, then the non-ATCP room text will be sent, then I see the ATCP information sent a second time. I'm not sure why this is done, but to be it appeared to be an oversight (possibly) that I coded around when I discovered it.

Which game are you seeing the double room ATCP info on? Is it only on movement? Or when you just LOOK as well?
Avasyu
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:11 pm   

Also, is anyone reading this can find a way to reproduce the ATCP/MCCP problem, will you please post it here or shoot me an email at jeremy@ironrealms.com?
ReedN
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:35 pm   

Avasyu wrote:

Which game are you seeing the double room ATCP info on? Is it only on movement? Or when you just LOOK as well?

It is on Achaea. I believe it is only on movement and not when you look. I specifically recall that because after noticing it I used that fact to key off of to determine whether I've moved rooms or am just looking. I'll test this again and post the details. I was looking for my old notes on how it worked when I was setting things up but I can't find them.

Avasyu wrote:
Also, is anyone reading this can find a way to reproduce the ATCP/MCCP problem, will you please post it here or shoot me an email at jeremy@ironrealms.com?

At this point I think Zugg would have to help. He's posted about this in the past saying that when he detects ATCP it automatically disables MCCP. So I don't think it's possible for an end user to exercise this issue anymore.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:50 pm   

Actually, end-users can still do it. When you turn on ATCP, CMUD will disable MCCP. But if you then manually re-enable MCCP, CMUD will remember that in the future and allow both options to be enabled.
Avasyu
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:04 pm   

Yeah, I have done that myself, but I have not been able to kick up any problems yet. We have made a few rapture changes that may have accidentally fixed it though. No idea for sure though, so if anyone can blow anything up, that would be good to know.
ReedN
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:54 am   

Alright, my memory was a little off, but here's how it goes:

Normally this is what is seen by Cmud. Note the double send of both the room and the exits before the non-atcp room name, exits, and prompt:
Quote:

ATCP-Room.Brief: At the foot of Dragonspire Mount
ATCP-Room.Exits: e,s,w,u,i
ATCP-Char.Vitals
ATCP-Room.Brief: At the foot of Dragonspire Mount
ATCP-Room.Exits: e,s,w,u,i
Non-ATCP RoomName, Description, Exits
Prompt

Another example. This is a little different in that there is a secret exit which is being revealed by the monocle I'm wearing. Here's what is seen in regular text:
Quote:
Manike Way before the Great Wall.
A runic totem is planted solidly in the ground. Lying flat on the ground is a key-shaped sigil.
You see exits leading north (closed door) (hidden), south, and in (closed door).

This is what Cmud sees as seen through the debugger. Note the double send of the ATCP information and the fact that it sends the wrong exits the second time:
Quote:
a Achaea |9669h, 9038m, 43846e, 37204w cexdb-n
i Achaea >n<CR><LF>
i Achaea <<ESC>[1;33mManike Way before the Great Wall.<CR><LF>
<ESC>[0;37m<IAC><SB><200>Room.Brief Manike Way before the Great Wall<IAC><SE><ESC>[1;35mA runic totem is planted solidly in the ground.<ESC>[0;37m<ESC>[1;35m Lying flat on the ground is a key-shaped sigil.<ESC>[0;37m<ESC>[36m<CR><LF>
<ESC>[37m<ESC>[1;31mYou see exits leading<ESC>[0;37m<IAC><SB><200>Room.Exits n,s,i<IAC><SE><ESC>[1;31m north (closed door) (hidden), south, and in (closed door).<CR><LF>
<ESC>[0;37m<IAC><SB><200>Char.Vitals<LF>
H:9669/9669 M:9038/9038 E:43844/43850 W:37204/37250 NL:0/100 <IAC><SE><ESC>[32m9669h, <ESC>[37m<ESC>[32m9038m, <ESC>[37m<ESC>[32m43844e, <ESC>[37m<ESC>[32m37204w <ESC>[37mcexdb-<IAC><EOR><IAC><SB><200>Room.Brief Manike Way before the Great Wall<IAC><SE><IAC><SB><200>Room.Exits s,i<IAC><SE>
a Achaea #Telnet 200: Room.Brief Manike Way before the Great Wall
a Achaea #Telnet 200: Room.Exits n,s,i
a Achaea #Telnet 200: Char.Vitals<LF>H:9669/9669 M:9038/9038 E:43844/43850 W:37204/37250 NL:0/100
a Achaea #Telnet 200: Room.Brief Manike Way before the Great Wall
a Achaea #Telnet 200: Room.Exits s,i
a Achaea |Manike Way before the Great Wall.
a Achaea |A runic totem is planted solidly in the ground. Lying flat on the ground is a key-shaped sigil.
a Achaea |You see exits leading north (closed door) (hidden), south, and in (closed door).
a Achaea ]9669h, 9038m, 43844e, 37204w cexdb-

Movement: When one of the exits is secret the secret exit appears on the first send, but disappears on the second send (n is present in the first send, but absent in the second):
Quote:
ATCP-Room.Brief: Manike Way before the Great Wall
ATCP-Room.Exits: n,s,i
ATCP-Char.Vitals
ATCP-Room.Exits: s,i
Non-ATCP RoomName
Prompt

Glance: One pair of ATCP "room name" and "room exits" is sent instead of the two with a movement:
Quote:
ATCP-Room.Exits: n,s,i
ATCP-Char.Vitals
Non-ATCP RoomName
Prompt

So if I were to guess, I'd say that the double send is in error. If it weren't then it would surely send the correct exits both times instead of the incorrect data the second time. The monocle that reveals the extra exits was an addition after the code was in place which shows both exits. They probably would have modified both if both had been meant to be sent.
ReedN
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:08 am   

Avasyu wrote:
Yeah, I have done that myself, but I have not been able to kick up any problems yet. We have made a few rapture changes that may have accidentally fixed it though. No idea for sure though, so if anyone can blow anything up, that would be good to know.

Here's an example with ATCP and MCCP enabled at the same time. This is what I get when I'm traveling room to room quickly. As you can see it combines the ATCP items from the current room with the ATCP items from the room I'm traveling to:
Quote:

Prompt
ATCP-Room.Brief: Guardian's Avenue next to the Wall
ATCP-Room.Exits: n,ne,sw
ATCP-Room.Brief: Guardian's Avenue before main barracks
ATCP-Room.Exits: ne,sw,w
ATCP-Char.Vitals
Non-ATCP RoomName
Prompt
Avasyu
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:24 pm   

Both examples are helpful, thanks.

I will have this worked on, but it may be a few days before you see anything in the game.
ReedN
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:56 pm   

Thanks for taking a look at it. I think working out the kinks with ATCP along with the new ATCP room numbers will be great enhancements. For me at least, one of the most frustrating things when getting started was properly setting up the mapper. So this should be a good boost for both the beginning and experienced players alike.
Dumas
Enchanter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:15 pm   

But believe us, having the ATCP at all was a blessing. I remember the days of hoping that the mapper would match the room.
Avasyu
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:14 am   

Okay, I think I have fixed all the ATCP problems for rooms on Achaea. Test it out and let me know. I am currently testing MXP room tags on Imperian and will add them to Achaea next week unless we have problems.
ReedN
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:43 am   

It's working great. I haven't encountered any issues yet.

Edit: I've even enabled MCCP and haven't had any issues.
Avasyu
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:18 pm   

I think that the MCCP problem has been fixed as it was related to another problem.

Please let us know of any other issues you are having.
ReedN
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:08 pm   

It's a long shot, but any chance of getting a text list of rooms and their corresponding room numbers? I've been collecting room numbers, but I still haven't made an appreciable dent in my already mapped 23,250 rooms.
ReedN
Wizard

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:50 am   

Zugg, any idea why I would get a "SQL Error: PRIMARY KEY must be unique" when I'm trying to map a new room?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: