Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
robert
Wanderer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:18 pm   

[3.12 Pro] Speedpath with Mapper is much slower with Vista and CMUD than XP/Zmud

I just did some tests of some of my map favorites speedpathing between 2 locations in which there are a ton of branches such that the pathing algorithm has to do a bunch of work. Doing this offline, Zmud 7.21 on XP is almost instantly sending the directions or less than a second, doing this on a faster computer on CMUD 3.12 Pro and Vista can take around a minute to send all the directions. Are other people noticing this type of slow down?
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:49 pm   

Are you sure both are using the same mode? I noticed that sometimes the map mode would change on me, such that was I now in safe mode instead of fast mode.
Wanderer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:32 am   

Both are using fast mode. I always use fast mode for my speedwalking.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:45 am   

Not seeing any slowdown like there here. The path algorithm in zMUD and CMUD is exactly the same, so there shouldn't be any difference in time. And I have found that the SQLite database used for CMUD 3.x is faster than the ADO/MDAC database used in zMUD and CMUD 2.x. So it should be even faster. Not sure what to suggest since I don't see any slowdowns here, and I'm testing on the over-land map of Aardwolf where every room has four cardinal exits connecting together, which is about the worst-case scenario for the path algorithm.

And anything that takes a *minute* is seriously messed up. Nothing should ever take that long. So something else is wrong, but I have no idea what it is.

The only speed slowdowns on Vista vs XP are related to the screen text scrolling since the Windows Manager on Vista (responsible for all the fancy transparency visual effects) is slower than the screen renderer in XP. But that has nothing to do with the mapper computing a path.
robert
Wanderer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:52 am   

I tried using the script debugger on it, and it seems it is onroomwalk event that is causing the big slowdown and can be up to a second. I did a search/find on my settings for onroomwalk and I don't seem to have anything set for that event. Maybe the pathfinding is fine, but something about the onroomwalk was changed that slowed it down a lot?
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:49 pm   

If you have your zMUD map file, can you try installing the CMUD 2.37 Public version and let me know if the speed slowdown occurs there. I suppose it's possible that it's a brand new problem with the changes to how the mapper events are handled. I haven't done any big speed testing since v3.08 or so.

Also, try to create a new session and load your map and see if it is still slow there. That will get you away from any possible interactions with your existing scripts. If it is something that you can reproduce in a new session, then I might have a chance of reproducing it here to find the problem.
robert
Wanderer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:41 pm   

Ok, I did the following:
1. Try 3.12 Pro on Vista with a clean Session but old Zmud map. Still slow, but faster than with all my trigs and all. Think highest delay was around .2
2. Installed 2.37 Pro under new directories, which unfortunately changed my setting directories for my 3.12 Pro install. :( Almost as fast a Zmud 7.21. I think Zmud was less than a second to do all these rooms, and Cmud 2.37 was around 2-3ish seconds which is still a lot better than the 3.12 which is around 20-60 seconds.
3. Tried Cmud 3.12 Pro again with a clean session and install directory. First path was almost as fast as 2.37 for some reason, but follow up paths were back up to around 0.15 ms per onroomwalk. I also tried disabling the show room description when pathing offline, and that didn't seem to help significantly.
4. Got worried with CMud 3.12 being fast once, so loaded up 2.37 again. Seemed even faster this time. Less than a second most of the time even after multiple paths back and forth with offline room names being printed.

One thing I noticed while doing this testing is the offline display of a fast path between CMud 2.37 and CMud 3.12 is different. CMud 2.37 sends all of the directions and then shows the updated room locations. CMud 3.12 shows the updated room locations each time. I was worried I may have not been on fast path, but reverified that CMud 3.12 was on fast path.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:28 pm   

If it's truely on "Fast" setting, then it should still send all of the directions at once. So it sounds like maybe it's not really in Fast mode internally somehow.

Is it possible for you to email me your map database or post it somewhere and email me the download link, then send me the actual path that you are using to test this? That would be a big help in tracking down this problem.

But it definitely sounds like something that has changed with the recent changes to the mapper in 3.x, so I'd like to get it fixed before the public version.
Thornbjorg

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:31 am   

Input on this...

In 2.37, with a converted zmud map, FAST mode, it is fast. No slowdown.
In 3.12, converted map from 2.37 to new format, FAST mode, it is very slow. It crawls on big maps.

2.37, upon selecting a room to speedwalk to, it will immediately send all directions at once
3.12, on the big maps, it seems to input the first 2 to 5, then slows down as it inputs each direction of the path after those initial few, for the rest of this post, slowdown refers to the speed loss compared with 2.37

Notes regarding the map, the map I use has about 50k rooms, spread across 25ish zones. Some zones have 20 rooms, a few have 10k+.

The slowdown that occurs is more noticeable on bigger zone maps.
Zoom appears to affect speed, the more visible rooms, the slower it processes.
The slowdown appears worse if center map after every movement is set.
Setting it to not center map after every step is processed notably faster than when center after every movement is set.
If I try a long speedwalk, the more paths that are possible seems to correspond to slower response times per step.
If I unload the map, and instead load a small map with < 100 rooms, the slowdown either doesn't occur at all, or is too little to notice

Edit
On a particular large zone map (chosen for size and alternative paths)
Overall execution time for 2.37 for a ~100 room path, with lots of alternative paths is about 3 seconds (regardless of zoom)
Same path, in 3.12, has an execution time of about 5 seconds if zoomed in close, or 12 seconds if at maximum zoom out

Additional Edit
Its not slowing down enough to qualify as attempting to wait for any type of output, so its definitely not in slow or safe.
chris-74269
Magician

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:24 pm   

If you have the mapper window open cmud is very slow in sending directions. This is probably because of updating the position. I usually tab it behind my main window and keep it hidden so the speedwalks are sent with similar speed as zmud.
killergate
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:09 pm   

Hi,

I've got exactly the same problem with 3.12 - in FAST mode it outputs directions very slowly to the mud - if I change to SAFE mode + select "Disable automatic confirmation" in "Automatic step configuration" it reacts instantly but ofc doesnt update map correctly.

Is there any update on this issue?

Edit: Closing the map removes the lag instantly - but thats not really feasible.

/kg
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:35 pm   

As I mentioned in my post above, you will need to email me your converted map file from v3.12 to sales@zuggsoft.com along with instructions about exactly which zone to test and which room to speedwalk to. I am not seeing any of this slowdown on my Vista system here.
killergate
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:59 pm   

Hi,

Mail incoming with map.

/kg
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:36 pm   

Got the map file and instructions, thanks. I'll test that before the next Beta release.
killergate
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:33 pm   

Hi,

Super - that sounds awesome.

/kg
bothkill
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:02 pm   

I have the same problem with [3.12].

Slow walking even in Fast mode.
I use a converted map from 2.37.

killergate
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:41 am   

Hi,

I'd like to bump this, as you kinda indicated you would look into this. Its a really really big annoyance to run with slowmo speed in the mapper atm (including 3.14b).

Hope you get time to check this out (you have my maps to test with).

/kg
bothkill
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:01 am   

3.14b?
Where did you get the 'b' version (as of March 3, 2010)?
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:25 pm   

I won't be able to look at a mapper-specific problem list this until after the Public release of TeSSH, sorry.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: