Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
chris-74269
Magician

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 4:14 am   

Ascii (possibly more) characters being replaced in package library

Some ascii and perhaps other characters aren't being preserved in the package library. People who are downloading my package are getting Ñ instead of Ñ. This also happened earlier with me in downloading vijilante's script and the division sign being replaced by similar garbage.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:13 pm   

Tell me exactly what package is having this problem so I can look at it myself. Also tell me what part of the script contains the invalid character and whether it's in a script or in some other package field. I need a lot more information to reproduce this and fix it.
chris-74269
Magician

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:51 am   

The package is Etahs Scripts, under the mud 3k. Within the subfolders of the MIP class there are nearly identical triggers which uses the Ñ character to replace all pipe characters before replacing ~'s with pipes (to retain the original pipes, the Ñ is used since it is likely unused in any string from on the mud). The Ñ is being replaced with Ñ.
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:14 am   

I think the Library might still use the UTF-8 encoding that was a problem with the XML export a long time ago. Switching to the ISO### encoding was the solution that fixed character translations on XML export.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:37 pm   

I'll check the database and see what I can learn. Definitely sounds like a character set UTF/ISO issue.
chris-74269
Magician

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:46 am   

Just wanted to bump this after getting someone complained about the trigger throwing errors after installing my package. I don't know if this is on your list of things to fix Zugg, but the package's still don't download properly when they use Ascii characters.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:14 pm   

This is still on the bug list but has a rather low priority, sorry. I'd really suggest trying to modify your script to use ISO characters instead of UTF characters. This probably won't be fixed until the Unicode work in CMUD later next year.
chris-74269
Magician

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:29 pm   

Just a quick comment on this, but this problem also shows up in exporting the XML. I changed my scripts to use ISO, so no big deal, but figured it would be useful to report where else it occurs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: