Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
chosig
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:31 pm   

[3.10a] [SOLVED] Mapper speed

Having just started my own buzzword happy internet app (cough, small business websites) comany (yay), mudding have been put to a grinding halt over the summer (boo).

Just updated to 3.10a and I found out that now when having the mapper on, swapping areas gives me a good 5 second client freeze.
Doesn't matter if it is by double click, keypad walking or if the mapper is put on "X", only "totally" closing the mapper window helps.

Don't know if it was because I took my old settings folder and just copied it over the one my new cMUD install had made, and my time is still scarce; but I'll try a fresh one and see if it changes somehow.

ps. the .dbm is 21,118,976 bytes (~21megs), old reference map (zmud) is about 123megs

edit:
Computer is a HP 550 Laptop (NA948EA) Celeron 2GHz w/ 2GB RAM and Vista SP1.

Last edited by chosig on Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:15 am; edited 2 times in total
Moo
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:42 am   

Same happens for me.. Sometimes..
charneus
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:54 am   

Chosig: The new mapper interface is still basically all in beta. Zugg is working out on any bugs that may be active, but you'll need to give step-by-step instructions on how to reproduce what you're doing. It may also require you sending your mapper to Zugg.

As for the file size, that's correct. The new file sizes will be MUCH smaller than the old map files. It does nothing to the quality of the map, just makes it load MUCH faster. The .dbm file format is for SQLite3, if that helps you any. :)

Charneus
chosig
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:19 pm   

Know of the differences, just added those for a guidance/reference of how big my map is. :)

Now it swooshes along in a flurry. I wonder if there could be some indexing going on in the background?

I left cMUD running in the background just idling over night and now everything is up to speed.
chosig
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:19 pm   

Speed problems has come back, worse then ever. I now get stalled an average of 9 seconds on area change.

This is output from a run (Aardwolf's built-in speedwalk thingy), alias used at the bottom.
Code:
0.0016 | c  Aardwolf |  [2] Aardwolf Comline : start :
0.0395 | c  Aardwolf |    exec : ~run d8seneu3e3s10e7n7wn3e
0.0009 | a  Aardwolf |run d8seneu3e3s10e7n7wn3e
0.0090 | j  Aardwolf >run d8seneu3e3s10e7n7wn3e
10.152 | d  Aardwolf |  [2] Aardwolf Comline : stopped
0.0034 | a  Aardwolf |{rname}The Grand City of Aylor (G) (4536)
0.0003 | f  Aardwolf |  Pattern: %e[37m~{rname~}(*)$ : (%1="The Grand City of Aylor (G) (4536)")
0.0002 | c  Aardwolf |  exec : Pattern "roomName" : #if (!%maplocked) {   $roomName=%sub...
0.0003 | a  Aardwolf |The Grand City of Aylor (G) (4536)
0.0005 | g  Aardwolf =The Grand City of Aylor (G) (4536)
0.0007 | a  Aardwolf |

This is output from using a portal, alias used below
Code:
1.6968 |
0.0009 | c  Aardwolf |  [2] Aardwolf Comline : start :
0.0020 | a  Aardwolf |get "stairway to heaven chosig" backpack
0.0086 | j  Aardwolf >get "stairway to heaven chosig" backpack
0.0015 | a  Aardwolf |dual remove
0.0082 | j  Aardwolf >dual remove
0.0012 | a  Aardwolf |hold "stairway to heaven chosig"
0.0075 | j  Aardwolf >hold "stairway to heaven chosig"
0.0020 | a  Aardwolf |enter
0.0074 | j  Aardwolf >enter
0.0011 | a  Aardwolf |dual (291380)
0.0090 | j  Aardwolf >dual (291380)
0.0015 | a  Aardwolf |put "stairway to heaven chosig" backpack
0.0085 | j  Aardwolf >put "stairway to heaven chosig" backpack
10.388 | a  Aardwolf |open east
0.0097 | j  Aardwolf >open east
0.0075 | d  Aardwolf |  [2] Aardwolf Comline : stopped

Aliases:
Code:
<alias name="run" id="107">
  <value>#call %maplocked( 1)
~run %1
#FORALL %pathexpand(%1) {#MOVE %i}</value>
</alias>

<alias name="portal" id="62">
  <value>#call %maplocked(1)
get @portal.%1 @container.portal
dual remove
hold @portal.%1
enter
dual @weapon.dual
put @portal.%1 @container.portal
#teleport {%1}</value>
</alias>
chosig
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:30 pm   

Hopefully solved, seems to be a Vista problem. Running cMUD as administrator helps (for now atleast), not marking solved until I've investigated further
chosig
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:14 am   

Solved, running cMUD as administrator did it.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:30 pm   

Really really weird. I'm not having any speed issues at all and I'm not running CMUD as administrator. I'm not even sure how running CMUD as admin would have any effect on this. Is your computer somehow restricting the amount of RAM that a non-admin application can use or anything weird like that?

There isn't any indexing going on in the background. CMUD is really just using standard SQLite 3.x database calls so maybe there is an issue with the SQLite DLL file or something.

The CMUD mapper loads the entire map database into memory, so there really isn't anything involved with switching zones anymore except refreshing the map display. Other than firing Zone scripts, I can't think of anything else that changing zones would do different than just moving into a different room. Long long ago zMUD would only cache a single zone into memory, but those days are long gone.

At this point I'll need to chalk this up to a system-specific configuration issue unless something can shed more light on what might be happening. I just don't see anything I have control over in my code that would cause this.
chosig
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:54 pm   

If you wouldn't live in the states, and with the postage nowadays, I'd send you my laptop (I got a couple backups).

I was as astounded as you, but it sure helped. But I'm noticing a slight lag again after keeping the client running for 14+ hours.

It's a plain Vista home with AUC turned off, nothing else is done to my install.
Moo
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:09 am   

Not entirely solved, I would say.. I get the freezes sometimes on zone changes, and I'm using XP, not Vista.. Full CPU usage during the freezes....
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:49 pm   

I'd be interested in knowing if people had these same problems with the old 2.37 CMUD version and old mapper. I'd like to find out if this is something new with SQLite v3 or maybe with the new mapper architecture. It's difficult to debug something that I can't reproduce.
chris-74269
Magician

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:16 am   

It might be a problem w/ your video card. My laptop (hp pavilion dv4000, xp sp3) was doing the same thing w/ cmud and I had to control alt delete it out. Turns out the intel gma chip is soldered badly in many of those models and that was causing it.
chosig
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:57 pm   

chris-74269 wrote:
It might be a problem w/ your video card. My laptop (hp pavilion dv4000, xp sp3) was doing the same thing w/ cmud and I had to control alt delete it out. Turns out the intel gma chip is soldered badly in many of those models and that was causing it.

Could be it, I have no lag on my desktop. AMD XP3000+, 4GB RAM, ATI Radeon 9600, using Linux and running cMUD via VMware player - strange combo I know, but I can't get it to auto-boot from CD/DVD.
alluran
Adept

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:01 am   

I'm experiencing this in 3.12 - Core2Duo 2.4GHz, ATI 3650HD 1GB RAM, 4GB RAM, 2x500GB HDDs (cmud installed on different drive from OS), Win7 No UAC

Nvr mind, updated graphics drivers.

Funny, I can play borderlands no sweat off default win7 drivers, but cMud needs me to mod the mobile drivers and use latest ;)
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:26 pm   

CMUD only displays TEXT on the screen, or very simple vector graphics in the mapper. Most modern video games (like Borderlands) use the DirectX interface for the 3D graphics. In fact, many of the graphics benchmark programs don't even test the text output speed since 3D games don't use it. So just because some games don't need the updated drivers doesn't mean that the drivers are perfect. Drivers are very complex and since Microsoft keeps changing their driver model in new Windows versions, it takes time for graphic card developers to get their drivers all tweaked and working perfectly. And some (*cough* NVidia *cough*) just never seem to get drivers that work perfectly for everything.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: