Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
makena
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:39 pm   

Windows 7

I recently purchased a new computer with Windows 7. I am having TONS of errors, anyone else? My old computer had XP and 3.12B worked very well.

I have exported/reconstructed my scripts just to be sure there was no corruption issues, but I will get errors left and right.

I did run the installer has admin, and had CMUD put all the data files in the same folder as the program (no my games).

I do run CMUD as admin.

Problems abound.

One easily describable problem is sometimes when I undock the mapper window I get a error: "Os-call failed" (or something similiar to that).

I am submitting error reports.
charneus
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:46 pm   

First off, you should let it go to the My Games directory instead of program files.

The way Windows 7 (and Vista) is set up, the programs file directory is protected. I have Windows 7 Enterprise edition and have absolutely no problems with it at all.

Second, have you done a search to see that this question has been brought up before? :P Try installing it to your My Games directory and see if that fixes it.

Charneus
makena
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:22 am   

charneus wrote:
Second, have you done a search to see that this question has been brought up before? :P

Yes, have you? :P While researching, I only found:

http://forums.zuggsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=143262
http://forums.zuggsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=151173

Neither provided a huge amount of information AND talked about 2.37, 3.10B, 3.03B or even BETA versions of Windows 7.
Oh, there is also a thread in which Zugg says he has no plans on upgrading to windows 7, despite zMUD users who purchase new computers will get windows 7 and be forced to upgrade to CMUD.

charneus wrote:
The way Windows 7 (and Vista) is set up, the programs file directory is protected.

Ok, why is the installer offering Windows 7 users this option?
And, if CMUD is being run as administrator, as suggested by charneus one of the posts above, these protections are irrelevant, no?

BTW, I using the 64-bit version of Windows 7.
charneus
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:17 am   

makena wrote:

Oh, there is also a thread in which Zugg says he has no plans on upgrading to windows 7, despite zMUD users who purchase new computers will get windows 7 and be forced to upgrade to CMUD.

Wouldn't matter if he did or not - zMUD cannot be compiled with the new Delphi, and as such, Zugg has no way of even updating zMUD even if he wanted to.

Yes, the protections should be irrelevant if you're running in Administrator mode. But per your second link:
Zugg wrote:
When you install CMUD, make sure you select the %DOCUMENTS% option when prompted for the location of your Data Files. I suggest that you uninstall CMUD, remove your CMUD directories, and then reinstall from scratch. Also make sure you are running the Installer using the Admin account on your computer. But it sounds more like a file permission problem with the directories you are installing CMUD to that contain your sessions.db file. Plenty of people are running CMUD on Win7-x64 without problems.

Your statement about others being about beta versions of Windows 7 is moot, since Windows 7 beta would have more problems than the public release.

Also, did you use the search under 'Site->Search' (which is the old-style search) or the Search bar provided at the top of every page? To me, it's easier to find things under the old-style search.

And I knew there were posts about Windows 7 because, heck, I'm the one who has replied to them. ;)

Charneus
Fizban1216
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:15 am   

makena wrote:

It might be offerred but it's not the default option. As a general rule, when installing software unless you have a specific reason to do so and are sure of what you are doing, don't change the default settings, really, it's that simple. I run Windows 7 Ultimate x64, and have '0' issues with CMUD 3.12 on it.
bortaS
Magician

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:06 pm   

Fizban1216 wrote:
makena wrote:

It might be offerred but it's not the default option. As a general rule, when installing software unless you have a specific reason to do so and are sure of what you are doing, don't change the default settings, really, it's that simple. I run Windows 7 Ultimate x64, and have '0' issues with CMUD 3.12 on it.

I'm also running Windows 7 Ultimate x64 with 0 issues as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: