Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
ecourt
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 1:50 am   

just plain frustrated

for over 2 years now, about every 3 months, I try to use Cmud, and again, with the latest release, I'm heading back to zmud.

there is still an (another?) issue with loading packages on sessions.
I had a session setup I had been using for a week (only single playing, I can crash cmud in 30 secs when playing 2 characters)
SOMEHOW, my 'common' package got removed from this session.
no problem, I'll just add it back.
hit sessions, edit, packages tab, add the package.
Close my cmud window, and open a new one... nothing... black screen, and that's it. no, it's not multiple windows that I can't see, it's flat gone.

My setup is soooo simple... one window with the active character session in it, and another window that has 'chat' traffic in it. speaking of which, I really hate that the second window HAS to be bound to a session... means I can't have one chat window, with info from both characters.

When I multi-play, cmud seems to keep duplicating packages, and windows onto my sessions, and before long, they wont even open any more.

altho most of the mapper functionality seems to work well (in 3.06), the mapper STILL freaks out with multiple sessions (the drop down never has both my sessions there, but it DOES have my chat window, that don't even have a network connection enabled!!!!!)

I've gone as far as sending all my pkg and layout files to other people, and they can't find the problem either.

So once again, I give up. heading back to zmud. someone call me when a version I can actually use comes out. I really like the features in cmud, just wish I could use them
groundzero2010
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:35 pm   

I'm having the same issue. Two characters one communications capture window. It does some freaky stuff. Sometimes the communications window mirrors one of the character windows. Weird and VERY annoying. This worked easy and excellent in zmud.
ecourt
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:45 pm   

glad someone else has the same problems. I think everyone just thought I was crazy.
wrym
Magician

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:33 pm   

It's unfortunate that your having problems, however in a test case with 2 sessions, and 1 shared window I was unable to reproduce your problems, it is possible you have a corrupted layout file causing these problems.

As for your crashes, saying cmud crashes isn't much help, and isn't saying much if your just exploiting a known or unknown bug.

As for the mapper full multiple map functionality has not been added until later versions, 3.09 and 3.10a.

As for the overall usability, I think it's is far more stable and powerful. I routinely leave cmud running for days with out problems.

As for your freaky stuff, i'ld suggest that that is the result of some of the difference between cmud and zmud scripting.
"To the engineer, all matter in the universe can be placed into one of two categories: (1) things that need to be fixed, and (2) things that will need to be fixed after you've had a few minutes to play with them" - Scott Adams, The Dilbert Principle
ReedN
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:35 pm   

I didn't think you were crazy, but most people probably discounted what you are saying because they don't experience the bugs themselves. Those that post bug reports here get the items they used fixed and subsequently their Cmud experience gets to be very robust and relatively bug free.

I still recall changing over from Zmud to Cmud and getting hit with the full brunt of all the items that I use not working properly. I've since then posted dozens and dozens of my bugs and many have been fixed. Not that it is totally bug free for me, but it gets better with time if you spend the effort posting the bugs you see.
ecourt
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:57 pm   

posted many bug reports, and even swapped quite a few emails with zugg...
My feeling is, most people don't use zmud or cmud the way I do. Even getting the impression that most people dont double play.

I've sent more crash files than I cam remember.
I've reloaded cmud from the ground up, no conversions from zmud, or older files.
It flat out don't work..
nice for you to comment on 'how it should be done' when I've been through it all,
I don't have time to waste on something I've already payed for... I did my best to help, but seems no one cared enough to check out the last bug crashes, and files I posted. why sould I continue to waste my time ?
ReedN
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:24 pm   

Crash reports rarely result in any bug fixes.

Posting procedures that Zugg can follow to reproduce often get things fixed.
ecourt
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:11 am   

I've done everything including offering remote control of my computer, like I said I can crash it in no time flat, I have it loaded on desktop, and laptop, both act the same way.
groundzero2010
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:24 am   

I'm running 2.37 by the way. What about you guys?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: