Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
chemtech

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:51 am   

English Directions.pkg (speedwalk dbl click, diagonal key bug?)

MUD: Discworld
Client: CMUD Pro 2.37
Bug: erroneous automapper output

When I dbl click a room on the automapper it sends the direction keys rather than the map direction which prevents diagonal movement in the path.

Example path: north, north, northwest, north

Automapper output: n n l n

The first step of the route is not effected;

Example: northwest, north, northwest, north

Output: nw n l n

If I disable "follow position" by clicking "turn off mapper" the correct path is sent but you have to manually set position once the speedwalk is complete.

The problem seems intermittent and I can't isolate anything that would cause it such as rouge variables or extra direction keys.

Why does it use h, j, k, l ?? l is look .. so using mud side aliases to "fix" it doesn't help.

I tried editing the english directions.pkg directly, changing the keys to 1, 2, 3, 4 and then using mud alias to translate this into the diagonal directions.

The paths worked but the automapper failed to follow the alias so i uninstalled and reinstalled CMUD, problem fixed.

Worked good all day, shut it down, took a nap, woke up restarted CMUD and the same thing..

It's sending directional keys j, h, k, l instead of se, sw, ne, nw..

Am I missing something, or is this just a known bug?
Gael
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:23 am   

I'm having exactly the same problem. It appears to be (randomly?) using h,j,k,l instead of nw,ne,sw,se. I can click try to run back and forth between two rooms on a map (by double-clicking) and sometimes it will send the 'j' 'k' directions, other times it will send 'ne' or 'sw' etc as it should. I haven't been able to observe any kind of pattern to this.

I don't really use paths much, but I can understand why we might want single-letter directions for the diagonals...but why would the mapper send the h,j,k,l commands to the mud rather than the corresponding directions?
Gael
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:28 am   

I didn't really ever figure out what happened or why, but I made the guess that something went wrong with the default English Directions package. A complete uninstall and re-install of CMUD seems to have solved the trouble.

In doing so, I saved everything in the sessoin settings folder elsewhere, before uninstalling. Then I deleted everything related to CMUD and started a fresh install, pointing to my old session files after creating a new session. Hope that helps.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:32 pm   

Btw, the reason there are single-letters for the diagonals is so that the normal speedwalking syntax can be used. For example, if you typed:

.sw

do you want the "sw" direction to be sent to the MUD, or do you want "south" and then "west" to be sent to the MUD? See, it's ambiguous. So when the "dot syntax" for speedwalking was defined, we decided that each direction must have a *single* character assigned to it so that it would never be ambiguous. That is why the diagonals got assigned to h,j,k,l. This happened many many years ago back in the early days of zMUD. So CMUD keeps these definitions since many people are already used to them.

The mapper should be converting these single character directions back into the normal movement commands. If it was sending the single-characters instead of the full direction command, then it was either a bug or some problem with your English Directions package. Glad to hear that reinstalling fixed it.

But that explains why single characters are used for diagonals.
chris-74269
Magician

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:14 pm   

What do your room scripts have in them (if you have any at all)? I reported a bug here that (as far as I know has been ignored)
http://forums.zuggsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33429&highlight=

which causes those symptoms. If that problem I reported there is the issue, then it would make sense that when the mapper is off the correct path is sent because the room scripts were never executed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: