Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

deathkitty
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:39 pm   

Finished CMUD scripts subforum?

I just thought it would be a good idea maybe, it's kind of weird how there's one for zmud but not cmud
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:15 pm   

The idea is that that's what the package library's for. I believe there's an intention at some vague point in the future, to more closely integrate the forums and package library in some way, but that's an extremely long way down the line. For now, anyway, use the library.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
Arde
Enchanter

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 3:10 pm   

Personally I think that if everyone who have only 1...2 aliases\functions\etc they wanna share will upload them as packages into the Library it'll become a trash can quickly. And it is hard to discuss about some script in the Library, hence no code improvement based on (possible) users comments. Yes, one can left comments right into the Library but: 1) who reads them? There is no notifications on new posts there; 2) you need to download a package firstly and study its code, but you'll download it only if you need exactly that package while on forum everyone can view a code.
-#SECTION can terminate threads
-Buttons can't start threads
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:28 pm   

I have plans to add a web interface to the package library some day. But I'm not going to add a CMUD Scripts forum, because that would de-value the shared script library as Fang mentioned. You mentioned some of the things the shared library doesn't do, and those are good points. But the script library *does* provide an easy place for CMUD users to download scripts, and for script authors to upload/update their scripts.

Scripts in the Library *do* have version numbers and you can click the "Get Updates" button and then filter your library so it shows you packages that have been updated. So that's how you get notifications. This isn't going to change...I require users to click the "Get Updates" button because if CMUD did it automatically everytime you opened the library or ran CMUD, it would add a huge load to my server bandwidth.

And it's not my fault if people don't use the Comments or Ratings feature in the Library. They are easy to use. There are also lots of additional features, like filtering so you only see packages for the MUD you are playing, or packages from a specific author, etc. There is just no way for a simple discussion forum to provide all of the features that are already in the Package library.

A method of looking at the code before installing a package is planned for the future.

The intent of the library was to provide Paying Customers a valuable feature that people using hacked versions of CMUD can't use. Even any eventual web-based interface to the package library will require some sort of authentication. Anyone will be able to see the list of packages available, but only registered CMUD users will be able to view the source code.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » Website or Forum problems All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: