Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Caled
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 6:55 am   

[3.06] Conditional trigs, frustrating GUI in PE

Rearranging the order of conditional triggers is clunky. Impossible via drag-and-drop if I want to change the zero trigger state to something different (it works for rearranging the other states). I actually have to cut/paste the pattern and commands to do so. In zmud I could edit stuff like that from the table-view tab of the whole trigger. We also can't set which trigger state is active from the GUI. I have to go to the command line and use #state. I very much preferred the way zMud handled them.

Maybe its too late at this point to change it, but please do consider it if it is not too difficult.

I feel guilty that perhaps I am expecting too much, but it seems to me that a client ought to be GUI or not at all, if that makes any sense? Adjusting something like this in a text file would actually be slightly easier than it is currently.
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 3:22 pm   

I'm positive you used to be able to set the active state from the treeview. Possibly that going is a bug, or I'm dreaming that it was ever a feature.

As for rearranging the first trigger, you'll probably find it easiest to do that from the XML view, where you can copy the pattern and value tags together, as a single item, into whichever state you like.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 12:50 am   

The problem is that the first (main) trigger state is the parent of all the child states, so there is no good UI method for dealing with this. The main trigger *is* different than the child states and cannot just be interchanged easily with child states. The way zMUD implemented this was all completely different and not something that can be done in CMUD, sorry. As Fang mentioned, you can easily edit the XML tab if you want that kind of low-level text editing.

For the majority of multistate triggers, you rearrange the child states and not the main trigger state. And you can reorder the child states via simple drag/drop. So the GUI is already set up to work fine for the majority of users. Just because it doesn't work exactly right for you doesn't mean I should get rid of the entire GUI that works fine for many other people.

Setting the current state from the GUI is currently bugged and is on the bug list. But again, it's not something that most people need to do very often, and as you mentioned, you can always just enter a #STATE command. It's not like you can't do it at all. And while I understand you might like how zMUD handled them, we could all name hundreds of things that CMUD does in the GUI better than zMUD. So making that comparison isn't really very helpful. zMUD and CMUD are just different.
Caled
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 3:56 pm   

Thanks for the reply. It was pretty much as I expected, but you can't blame me for hoping!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: