Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Leitia
Adept

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 1:04 pm   

Installation Directory

During the installation dialog I was asked to chose a file path. There were three radio button choices:

1. a number of %WindowWord% terms
2. C:\Program Files\CMud\
3. Other

Option 1. was the default, which I thought was very MS Windows but not what I really wanted, the percent signs intrigued me, so I chose that to see where it would end up. I do want option 2.

Option 1. ended up putting all the packages in My Documents\Games and now the \Packages folders and others are mirrored to \CMud without the sessions.

I hate to reg hack for the address, and really I don't want any program output folders in My Documents. I can't see how to change this. Is it OK to do a reg search?

Also does anyone know what the % convention in that address was about?

Embarassed
wrym
Magician

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 2:48 pm   

If you want to change your Data Directory, you can simply re-install cmud, and cmud will change the registry for you.

The %'s are saying to use windows system variables, %temp% is another windows path variable, and is where many temporary files go. One of the big reasons for this is, windows versions change file directory structure and this makes that transparent to applications.

In your case, %windowword%, said go to the windows word directory.
"To the engineer, all matter in the universe can be placed into one of two categories: (1) things that need to be fixed, and (2) things that will need to be fixed after you've had a few minutes to play with them" - Scott Adams, The Dilbert Principle
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 3:28 pm   

It uses %Documents% because My Documents can actually be anywhere on your computer (I keep mine in the root of my D drive so I can reformat C, which contains Windows, as much as I like) and it's trying to communicate that it'll put CMUD's files wherever you have My Documents.

The reason it does this is because Vista doesn't like you making changes to the contents of C:\Program Files. Why this particular folder needs protection when applications can be installed anywhere, I don't know, but that's the way it is. The new standard in Vista is to keep user-specific data of any kind out of Program Files, hence the default being my Documents. The other options are there for you to pick where you want the files to go, if you don't want them to be in My Documents.

If you want to change it, just run the installer again and choose a different option, but bear in mind that you might have problems if you're using Vista and choose to keep your package files in Program Files.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
Leitia
Adept

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 4:28 pm   

I'll re-install, I got a block about it because the last time I needed the key code there had been, omg, changes.

I have XP and still look at Vista as the new mars colony while I am a moon girl.

Actually, I did think My Documents was the clear choice as it can be start button opened without pinning the folder. I have gotten used to going to program files for the things I do, and have a shortcut to there.

I will do that partition thing on my next puter. This one is preloaded with Windows ECT. and I don't think I can partition just C drive.

Thank you
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 4:40 pm   

Quote:
I'll re-install, I got a block about it because the last time I needed the key code there had been, omg, changes.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "I got a block", but you don't need your license key just to reinstall CMUD. You only need your license key if you reformat your computer or reinstall Windows itself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: