Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
pelonza
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 5:33 am   

Capturing/Parsing Variable line inputs

I'm trying to parse/extract variables from a multiple line input string. The problem is the line count is not consistent since the variables I want to capture are NOT the same length, for example I want to capture both of the following:

> The light brown soil is tinged with some flecks of gold, a few flecks of
white, and glistens a sickly yellow-green colour. The soil is bone dry.

OR

> The pale brown soil is tinged with some flecks of gold, a few flecks of
white, and glistens a sickly yellow-green colour. The soil is somewhat
dry.

There are actually a number of different variables in here I need to capture, (flecks could be some/few/many/swath, soil color different, glisten: yellow/yellow-green/green-yellow/green, etc...)

I know I can use the "$" to find an end of the line, but if I want to parse for the variables (which sometimes end up AT the end of the line, or beginning of new line) I can't just capture lines individually (since the start might be different)

I'd welcome any suggestions....I am continuing to look through the help files for solutions....
Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 1:49 pm   

The first suggestion is to find out whether this mud allows you to turn off server-side line wrapping. If you can turn off line wrapping, then cmud can do the line wrapping itself for display, and all of those lines will be treated as a single line for your scripts.

If you can't turn off server-side line wrapping, it gets tricky. But most muds do allow you to turn that off.
wrym
Magician

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 4:34 pm   

If you can't disable server-side line wrapping i'ld put this on the back burner for a bit. Zugg is working on implementing a cmud feature to UN-server-side line wrap lines. Then that would be 1 nice neat clean trigger.

Here's the link, he talks briefly about it in his last post, as well as a few other locations.

http://forums.zuggsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33192
"To the engineer, all matter in the universe can be placed into one of two categories: (1) things that need to be fixed, and (2) things that will need to be fixed after you've had a few minutes to play with them" - Scott Adams, The Dilbert Principle
pelonza
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 12:33 am   Yes and no....

My mud can set the line wrap values....but it seems that it only applies to SOME things.

Turns out from a little more investigation that things like our mud's room descriptions have BUILT IN character returns (not related to line length).

I suspect that is what is going on with this description. However, obviously those character returns are based on a different, internal variable,
and not a part of the line/phrase I"m trying to capture. I'm going to take a crack at using the built in character returns/puncuation to see if I
can parse it, but I'm not hopeful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: