Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
semiorange

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:31 am   

Reading Ascii Letters

Ive used Zmud forever now, and i was wonder if anyone had an idea about Reading Ascii letter from a Mud and changing them into normal txt output
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:42 am   

Not sure what you're asking: ASCII means normal text output. Explain to us exactly what's happening now and what you'd like to be different (screenshots can help in some cases, too) and we'll be able to help you.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
semiorange

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:56 am   

|_ _| (_) __ __ | _ \
| | | | \ \ / / | |_) |
| | | | \ V / | __/
|_| |_| \_/ |_|
change something like that into T I V P ill get a screen shot here in a sec and post it,
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:01 am   

I see. The short answer is no. It's a knotty problem and generally MUDs do this to stop you afking - and if your MUD really cares about that, they'll find some other way to stop you when they realise this one hasn't worked. The best solution is to change to a MUD that doesn't care so much.

The long answer is yes, but it won't be simple. If the letters are the same each time and the splits are always in the same places (the letters are fixed-width) then it should be doable. You can capture the lines containing the characters and divide them up at the seams into each individual character. You'll then be able to examine each string section and see which characters it matches.

If they're not fixed-width, it's more complex because you're going to have to incorporate the splitting with the character -matching. You need to examine each line character-by-character until you have something that matches one of the possible characters. Then you declare the end of that character the first seam and remove it from each of the lines. Then you repeat the process until you run out of string.

If the characters sometimes look different (parts missing, spacing changes and so on) then this problem because extremely difficult, and definitely not worth the hassle.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
semiorange

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:05 am   

ok thanks, kinda what i figured, I had it working some what, but was told its impossable to do, and your right its to keep people from afkin, muds just lost its player base with out a few afks the muds turn lame
Leyline
Wanderer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:42 pm   

No afk, that is the most retarded thing I have ever heard.
Hello mudadmin there's thins thing we call real life, (RL you know) it calls sometimes!
ralgith
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:02 pm   

Like when we have KIDS!!
Wanderer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:13 pm   

Exactly!
hogarius
Adept

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:59 pm   

If by AFKing we mean simply stepping away from the computer for a short time, I agree that a MUD should allow that.

If by AFKing we mean that a computer is playing the game robotically for extended periods of time and gaining wealth or stats for a character, without a human needing to be present, I believe that a MUD may be justified in not allowing that.
Leyline
Wanderer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:35 am   

That we would call Botting....
AFK = away from keyboard.
bot = robot / script running

Granted you can afk while botting... but lets call an apple an apple.
ralgith
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:44 pm   

I agree with Leyline. Use the proper word for what you mean, so that your needs are clear to everyone.
Adept

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:24 pm   

I once read a thing when Achaea un-banned AFKs. The admin said AFKs use resources, but because of advances in computing that was no longer a concern. Perhaps your mud began their policy on the same basis and recently upgraded.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: