Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:16 pm   

Plans for 3.06 version

This is the official thread to talk about status, eta, and other plans for the next 3.06 version of CMUD.

While I've been mostly focused on bug fixing for this version, I've also wanted to continue adding some new features. In addition to the free-floating "buttons anywhere" and mouse-click properties for buttons that I've mentioned in other posts, I have also finished the implementation of user-defined styles via the #STYLE command. You can use your style name in the #CW, #COLOR, and #PCOL commands to control both the color as well as the font name, size, and style attributes (italic, bold, etc).

I've also decided to continue working on some new features next week. The other main features that I want to add to this next version are:

1) xterm mouse support
2) multiple status bars with multiline support
3) stripping MUD prompt and displaying sticky prompt in a status bar
4) auto-unwrapping text lines from the MUD

I think several of these new features will improve the conversion of users from zMUD to CMUD. They are things that we have talked about for a long time, and I think CMUD is finally in the proper shape to add these kind of features that will benefit all users.

Hopefully I'll be able to get this ready next week. But it depends upon what else the universe throws at us. The last few weeks have been pretty busy and stressful.

Stay tuned for more details. Comments are welcome as always.
Nezic
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:18 pm   

Is it feasible to add a little timer next to the sticky prompt to count how many seconds have passed since the last prompt update? If it isn't too hard to add I think people might like that option.
ReedN
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:26 pm   

Those items you listed appeared interesting, although honestly I didn't see any that popped out at me as something I'd use. Perhaps the multiple status bars with multiline support, I'm not quite sure what that entails but it sounds cool.

I've personally just really appreciated the bug fixes. Especially the recent work you've been doing. Getting bugs fixed so Cmud runs to spec for me is better than new features. I get more disheartened when I run into bugs than any new feature could compensate for. For example, every time I look at my movement objects and see:
Code:
 "w                           |w|west|swim w|leap w"

I just cringe and hope that someday stuff like this will be worked out.

I can appreciate that you're trying to create features that compel the average user to move over to Cmud. It is your livelihood, so I can see where you are coming from. However for me and many people I meet it comes down to stability and how many bugs they see in it. For this reason I've really appreciated the work you've put into fixing the bugs recently. I've tried to roll bugs up to you in a clear manner so that you'd have the easiest time fixing them. I look forward to each release and the bug fixes that you provide.

However, if you are in the feature adding mood, here's two that I've suggested recently that I would have found extremely useful:
http://forums.zuggsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33155
http://forums.zuggsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33154
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:43 am   

Styles!? Sweet!

One thing that I'd love is if the sticky prompt could be in the MUD window, as the last line, rather than in the status bar. I want it to still look pretty and styled like it should be, but for there just to be fewer of them to spam me up.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
charneus
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:04 am   

One thing I'm still waiting for that you mentioned before was the ability to toggle the (annoying) popups and helps when using the Editor.

It still drives me crazy when I'm typing something like %db( and the little "help" pops up and covers everything I need to look at until I click away. It also still drives me crazy that I'll type something out in full (like %null) and I have to hit enter TWICE to get to the next line.

In case others don't know what I'm talking about:

While I appreciate that others like it and probably will continue to use it, this is my main pet peeve about the editor. If I recall, you said this was a simple task, though I could be wrong. :P

Charneus
jed
Adept

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:32 am   

I've been having a bunch of problems with the mapper. Bunches of them are pobably my own doing, but I can't help but think there are still some decent size gremlins associated with it that could be ironed out... hopefully I will learn what I'm doing wrong on the ones I am screwing up, and maybe some of them will be fixed.
A couple that come to mind which I've posted elsewhere are the primary key crash issue, settings not being saved, or exportable, exit keyword config changing possibly when the reload room data is selected from the mapper...
Thanks zugg for the great product, and please don't take my comments negatively. Mr. Green
ReedN
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:00 am   

charneus wrote:
One thing I'm still waiting for that you mentioned before was the ability to toggle the (annoying) popups and helps when using the Editor.

It still drives me crazy when I'm typing something like %db( and the little "help" pops up and covers everything I need to look at until I click away. It also still drives me crazy that I'll type something out in full (like %null) and I have to hit enter TWICE to get to the next line.

I'd like it if there way an easier way to dismiss the pop-ups, as it is always disruptive to what I'm doing to dismiss them. But I agree, they almost always cover up something I need to see. Perhaps it would be ideal if they were semi-transparent and we could see both. Sometimes I do actually need to see the pop-up to remember the arguments needed.

One of my biggest pet-peeves with the editor is that the escape key exits the editor completely and without saving. I remember various times trying to dismiss pop-up help with the escape key only to lose everything I was working on. Is there an easy way to dismiss the help pop-up? I usually end up having to disrupt my work to use the mouse to click it and dismiss it that way. It is also annoying that it doesn't disappear when you put the closing ')' in place.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:28 pm   

I'll add something to the to-do list for an option to control the auto-completion and code-hints in the script editor. There isn't any way to make them semi-transparent. The popups are generated by the open-source Scintilla editor component, which is something I don't have control over. But I can certainly add an option to turn them off for people who don't want them.

And don't worry. I'm not neglecting bug fixes. Most of the bugs posted in the "What is needed to make 3.0x a public version" thread are already fixed. It's always a balance between fixing bugs and adding new features. And I wanted to make sure that the 3.0x public version had more than just the new mapper stuff for people who don't care about the mapper.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:26 pm   

OK, items #2 and #3 are going to be delayed until the 3.07 version. As usual, bug fixes are taking too long. It's always the 80/20 rule. 80% of the time to add 20% of the features. In this case, I'm talking about the user-defined styles. I added them quickly last week, but today I realized that there were several remaining problems. For example, what happens when the Style Preferences is open and you use #UNSTYLE on the command line to delete a style. Or, even dealing with how the screen "expires" a style when it is deleted so that it's not referring to a deleted object record in memory.

Then I needed to add a right-click menu to the Style Preferences screen to allow you to delete a user-defined style from that screen. Then I needed to handle Style records properly in the main Package Editor so that style records are not shown by default (like directions and location objects). In other words, I spent most of today tweaking the stuff needed to really make styles work properly.

I *did* get the xterm mouse support added today and fixed a couple of xterm emulation bugs. Those were high-priority for me since I'm trying to get TeSSH into a public release status too.

But now that I look at the stripping MUD prompt stuff, I can see that it's going to take several days longer than I want to wait for this next beta release (end of this week). The unwrapping lines from the MUDs isn't too hard in theory, so I'm still going to try to add that. And I'm still fixing more bugs. But hopefully you'll see a release this Friday.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:08 pm   

I went ahead and released 3.06 BETA today. I still didn't get around to #4. So only #1 on the list above was added to this version. Hopefully the rest of these features will make it into next-months version. Still more bug fixes in this version than I'd like for a public version. Hopefully this one will be better and I can get closer to a public release. But there were still a lot of basic low-level changes in 3.06 (some parser fixes and the color/capture fixes) that might cause new bugs.

At least I got the new free-floating buttons and some other features into this version.

This version also updated the Armadillo copy protection system. Should be transparent to all users. The new version is supposed to work better on Vista with various DEP settings. But definitely let me know if you run into any license problems.
Dwoggurd
Wanderer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:22 pm   

Any plans for 3.07? Twisted Evil
I'm particularly intrested in using HTML logging, so I vote for fixing remaining issues with colors (ansi/custom/#CW/#PCOL/etc) and how they are written to a log file.
Minthur
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:56 am   What would be handy

If the database was ready to go. I am still a little leary as to the amount of data to put into it with a new version coming it sure would be nice to be able to know if my data will transfer with the new version. I really am excited to see a database that is useful since the old days of zmud database crashing and losing data really left a bad taste *wink*
Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:02 pm   

Zugg has said the database rewrite will be the next big project, after the mapper is finished. He still has 2 more phases to go on the mapper.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:04 pm   

Yeah, you probably won't see a new database module until 2010 at the rate things are going right now with the mapper :(. Some SQL commands/functions will be added during the Phase 2 of the mapper, so that might help. But the whole user-interface of the new database module is a pretty big project. After all, it's like putting an entire program like SQLite Administrator within CMUD...and then making it compatible with the previous database module (well, as much as is possible).

As far as 3.07, it's mainly going to be bug fixes. The remaining color issues are high on my list, as is the #NNN broken command that happened in the latest release. Still hoping to add the feature for unwrapping lines from the MUD because I think I've got a pretty simple algorithm to handle it. And still thinking about some MUD prompt features. But mainly bug fixes. I really do need to get this into a new Public version, especially so I can start marketing TeSSH.
Caled
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:01 am   Re: Plans for 3.06 version

Zugg wrote:
3) stripping MUD prompt and displaying sticky prompt in a status bar

I sort of got a bit confused: were you hoping to put this into 3.07 or did you put the plan on the shelf for another day? I'm more excited about this feature than any other since the package library.

It will (aside from allowing me to cut spam by about 40%) make mudding look and feel quite different. Different types of output, no longer bound by prompts, will be quite easy to move to other parts of the screen.
Minthur
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:24 am   

Hey thanks for the info Zugg, and, please do not misunderstand I absolutely think zuggsoft is the best! I have been a looooonnnnnnnngggggg time customer of zmud all the way back to ver 1.14 I think it was. I was just salavating over a stable datebase. We all know it has been sort of an issue to the point that many "casual" users stopped even using the feature cause of crashes, missing, and corrupted data issues over the years. So that is why I am really excited about it and just thought I would do what Beta is supposed to do. Wasn't complaining just reporting thanks for the awsome support!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: