Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
jed
Adept

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:06 pm   

[3.05] Error when opening involving pcre78.dll

I just opened cmud, and I get an error (not the typical crash box that comes up that gives you the option to send it in, a different one that just has the message) that says
Quote:
Error opening pcre78.dll
Invalid access to memory location

I opened for cmud the first time today, this happened, then closed it, and it opened fine, then closed it and reopened it and it just happened again. I've since opened it a couple of times, without a problem.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:40 pm   

This usually happens on Vista when the DLL gets locked into memory and not unloaded properly by Windows. The only way I have found to fix this problem is by rebooting Windows. The same error happens on occasion with the sqlite28.dll file. It's something about these DLL files that sometimes can't be relocated properly into memory when Windows loads CMUD.
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:01 pm   

The loading sequence for the pcre78.dll is setup so that it will silently retry during normal operation. I am not sure if that particular error will permit the later load attempts to work, but you could try ignoring the error.

As Zugg said it is a Vista thing. I think Vista is uncaching the previously loaded dll right as the request to load that dll comes in. If that is the case then later opening your package and causing a trigger to compile would load the dll successfully. It could possibly flood you with errors too, so make sure if you try it you are offline.
Fizban1216
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:57 pm   

I just recently started getting this error on Windows 7 Ultimate. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling cMUD 3.12 to see if that fixed it, and have rebooted numerous times since I began getting the message and it hasn't seem to have gone away.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:34 pm   

Make sure the pcre78.dll file is in the same directory as your CMUD.EXE file. Nobody else is reporting any issue with this in Win7, so it has to be something specific to your computer setup or cmud installation. If you still have trouble, tell us the exact options you selected in the CMUD installer when you installed it.
Fizban1216
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:41 pm   

Clicking no options at all, ie. all default, specifically the following:

Choose Components:

The following are checked

Required Files
MUD Listing

Destination Folder:

C:\Program Files (x86)\CMUD

User Session Files Folder:

%DOCUMENTS%\My Games\CMUD

I then check the contents of

C:\Program Files (x86)\CMUD

and it has both cMUD.exe and PCRE78.dll
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:56 pm   

Try deleting all of your CMUD folders (the C:\Program Files (x86)\CMUD and the My Documents\My Games\CMUD). Be sure to make a BACK UP of your files first. Then reinstall. All I can think is that you have a corrupted PCRE78.dll file somehow.
Fizban1216
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:12 pm   

Zugg wrote:
Try deleting all of your CMUD folders (the C:\Program Files (x86)\CMUD and the My Documents\My Games\CMUD). Be sure to make a BACK UP of your files first. Then reinstall. All I can think is that you have a corrupted PCRE78.dll file somehow.

Did that several times.

Exact steps I have done:

Control Panel -> Uninstall, delete folder from Program Files (x86), delete CMUD folder in My Games, delete CMUD folder in startup folder, run ccleaner, as well as its registry cleaner, reboot, reinstall. Issue persists.
Also it seems to not be using the icon when installed any longer or automatically creating a desktop shortcut.

Specifically the taskbar looks like this:

Fizban1216
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:15 pm   

Well, I figured it out, sorta.

I renamed PCRE78.dll to pcre78.dll (ie. just changed from caps to lower case) and the error no longer appears. I suspect casing is probably the issue with the icon as well. Is there perhaps a setting in Windows 7 anyone knows of that turns on and off case sensitivity in instances like this?
Taz
GURU

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:32 pm   

That would be a major departure for MS from all previous versions going all the way back to DOS, the OS has never been case sensitive.
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:24 pm   

Taz is correct. Windows has never been case sensitive. My guess is that your system registry is messed up somehow and that changing the name to uppercase caused Windows to create a new DLL entry for it.

The icon displayed on the Windows task bar is stored within the CMUD.EXE file itself. If Windows cannot read this icon out of the CMUD.EXE file, then either the EXE file has been damaged or corrupted (like by a virus), or else there is another problem in your system registry. Based upon this thread and your other posts, all I can conclude is that there is something seriously wrong on your computer and Windows installation, but I have no idea what else to try. But it's almost like you don't have proper permissions on your system and that CMUD is not getting installed properly in your system registry.

When you install CMUD, try right-clicking on the CMUD313_SETUP.EXE program and selecting "Run As Admin". Also check your DEP settings as described in the CMUD Troubleshooting help topic to see if that helps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: