Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
makena
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:56 pm   

[3.05] Support for multiple session tracking on a single map

I play multiple sessions at once, and the mapper seems to still have issues with this setup. Is this known or should I elaborate?

example: "special exit commands" seem to only go to the first session connected NOT the actively tracked location/session!

I also wonder where I am supposed to put the mapper setting... in its own package, and then share that package between all my characters? help!
Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:49 pm   

Very few, if any, other people have tested the beta with multiple sessions simultaneously on a single map. I can't myself, since my muds don't allow multiplaying. You may have to be the one to help figure out any bugs with it. I suspect that the proper way to do it would be to have the map object in a package shared by the characters. Having the map object in a separate package has also been insufficiently tested. I've done some testing in that, and some problems have been identified and fixed, but there could still be more.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:45 pm   

Rahab is correct that the proper way to share a map is to place the Map Object in it's own package and then share that package with your characters. He is also correct that this has gotten very little testing. You might be the only person using the 3.05 beta with a shared map configuration.

So, as with all bug reports, please post the exact steps needed to reproduce a problem like this (once you get your shared package set up). It's going to be extra difficult to debug these issues since I also don't have any MUD that allows multiplaying that I can test on, so I have to do my testing all offline.

But if you haven't set up a shared map package, then that's your first step.
sav
Wanderer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:50 pm   

Quote:
proper way to share a map is to place the Map Object in it's own package and then share that package with your characters.

How do i go about doing this?
Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:28 pm   

Either create a new empty package (on the Package Editor, click File|New Package), or select an existing package that you want to move it to. Find your map object (in your main session window), click on it to highlight it. Right click, and click Export Selection to XML. Give it a file name. Open the package you want to move it to. Click File|Import XML, and select the file you just created. After you are certain it imported correctly, go back to your main session package and delete the map object.

I have also tried just dragging the map object to the tab for the package I want to move it to, but I've had some problems with this. It seems to sometimes mess up the packages. I haven't narrowed this down enough to make it repeatable.
craigbb

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:53 am   

I also had this same problem when sharing a map. And when I tried to shut down it also messed up the packages as well as threw out exceptions errors that got sent via email :P (Sorry Zugg there were a lot hehehhe) I leave the map floating as well not docked. The only way I found to make sure I did not mess up the different packages was to make new ones.

Let me back up. I had my primary character all set up so when I went to make a new char I just right clicked on the main sessions window selected copy then pasted and entered the new character's name. Since I wanted the same triggers and settings I selected the pkg file of the org char. Then modified the settings as needed and tried to save as a new file name. So of course every time I opened both char it tried to open the same files and if I added a trigger in one and modified the map in the other I belive the files were getting corrupted.

My work around was to first (just in case have a backup of the files hehehe) have the primary character created. Then manually add a new session I did mine like this Org char was Minthur on AustinMud then the new one was Cannon on AustinMud I "Open Session off line" so cmud would create the new folder named CannonAustinMud. I then closed cmud and opened file explorer and opened the new folder CannonAustinMud and deleted all the files in the folder. I then opened the MinthurAustinMud folder selected all the files right clicked and copied then went back to Cannon and pasted them. Finally I renamed all the files in the Cannon folder to show Cannon instead of Minthur ie the copied file MinthurAustinMud.dbm to CannonAustinMud.dbm.

My problem with the import export workaround was I was never sure which one to delete once the new ones were in the settings. Took a bit getting used to the session window. So, I was back to exception errors when I changed settings. Of course using this method you are no longer sharing a map but you could always do what was previously suggested for that make it it's own package. I actually prefer having individual maps because it's easy enough to make #Map triggers for following and then I'll know what areas (have area points) each char has been. If needed though could always just recopy the .DBM file as needed *smile*

Kinda of a pain but no more errors and I no longer corrupt and lose my settings. ;-)
sav
Wanderer

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 5:40 pm   

craigbb,
using your workaround, do you have 2 maps open at the same time? i can't seem to get it to work.
Minthur
Beginner

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 8:45 pm   

sav wrote:
craigbb,
using your workaround, do you have 2 maps open at the same time? i can't seem to get it to work.

Yes. In fact I have 3 maps open at the same time. Two of my char now share one map and the third has it's own map. Make sure in the settings you highlight the map setting and in the map file you point to the new file you want to use. Also make sure you delete the org map file if the settings show two maps.

FYI Make sure that if your sharing a map that only one character is actually mapping when your exploring new areas. I "broke" mine when I had some triggers for following and using the #MAP command and both tried to write to the same file at the same time. Files Don't like that heheheh Hope this helps.
Minthur
Beginner

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 8:46 pm   

OOOPS Minthur = craigbb sorry about that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: