Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
chamenas
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:05 pm   

Stand Alone Editor

Does anyone else think it would be neat if there was a Stand Alone Editor for CMUD that you could use even when CMUD wasn't open to edit logs and whatnot, possibly prepare things for being inputted (via the send feature), etc?
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:11 pm   

Actually, I would use that a ton. Also would be sweet if that #FTP got implemented soon *winkwink*
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:20 pm   

Would be nice if we could do a little bit more with it too. Right now I'm trying to adjust the colors because it always makes my MUD's "black" into actual black when it's actually a dark gray, which I've fixed for the MUD but the editor seems to only want to make it black. Not to mention the fact that it makes all of my colors dark, but I can't remember if that was a problem with the editor or my MUD.
MASTER

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:09 pm   

Why not just open CMUD offline?

If you export to XML, then you can use any editor, such as NotePad++ (which has XML syntax highlighting). Then import back into CMUD.

No plans for a standalone editor unless it was something people would be willing to pay for. I don't want to try and compete in the standalone editor market with stuff like NotePad++, UltraEdit, etc. That just takes my focus away from the MUD features.

As far as colors, you can customize *all* of the colors of the editor in the Styles preferences, so I'm not sure what the problem is.
chamenas
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:36 pm   

I'll look at the style preferences, I don't remember what I clicked on but I could click on the black color but couldn't do anything about it.

If you were going to make an editor to compete with Notepadd++ and UltraEdit that synced well with CMUD I'd buy it Razz

(I don't know and don't think those programs can read the ansi color format, so I have to save it as html or something which causes problems!)

Edit:
Also, I see format -> color, which is what I was having problems with. I don't see style preferences
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:18 pm   

hmm, i had this problem for a while too, some color syntax settings were reset to default whenever i clicked some other setting (wouldnt save no matter what) but then it magically disappeared - or i misunderstood if chamenas was talking about something else, i probably did...
chamenas
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:33 pm   

Well, there's two problems. One is that for some reason the bold colors show through fine on the MUD but not with the ansi color log. So Bright yellow will be dark yellow, dark green will be sort of a middle green, it's all screwy and black is pure black, not the dark gray my MUD shows. This wouldn't be so bad if there was a color replacement feature, but even that would lack in that sometimes the color is right and I'd be replacing the right colors in order to fix it, so I couldn't do a replace all, though a step by step replace might work. The most ideal thing would be for it to log the colors right.

Also, it would be sweet if it had a research find/replace function. Razz
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:38 pm   

Have you looked at LogEdit - ANSI to HTML Converter and much more?
Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:53 pm   

Have you checked the color settings in your log window? Each window has its own separate settings. Perhaps the settings in your log window don't match those for your session window?
chamenas
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:56 pm   

Seb wrote:

You can just save it as html from the ansi log, I just prefer to edit it while still in ansi color.
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:57 pm   

Rahab wrote:
Have you checked the color settings in your log window? Each window has its own separate settings. Perhaps the settings in your log window don't match those for your session window?

I saw it, I clicked on the boxes and all it did was click on the boxes, I couldn't change it. If someone could post some screen shots or something I might be able to see what I'm doing wrong. It seems like it would be so simple, just change the colors to what they are in the session window, but I can't seem to...
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:03 pm   

Keep in mind that *standard* ANSI only has 8 colors. zMUD/CMUD allows you to use the "bold" ANSI code to select 8 "highlighted" colors instead of just making the font bold. In fact, zMUD/CMUD allows you to customize the interpretation of all of the ANSI mode control codes (bold, italic, underline, etc).

While some extensions have been made to support 16 colors instead of 8 (which zMUD/CMUD also recognize), most MUDs use the bold attribute flag, and when zMUD/CMUD log the "highlighted" colors it also outputs them as "bold".

And I apologize that my initial post misunderstood...I thought you were talking about a standalone "settings" editor, and not a log-file editor. Honestly, it's probably better to just use the newer HTML log file options and then open your log file in any program that handles HTML. There are a lot more HTML editors than ANSI color editors.

But this reply might help you understand why you might see bold text in an external ANSI editor rather than highlighted colors. Also remember that zMUD/CMUD let you customize the 8/16 ANSI colors to any color that you want, but there is no way to save this information with your log file, so an external editor will always use the standard ANSI colors to display the file.
Seb
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:05 pm   

chamenas wrote:
Seb wrote:

You can just save it as html from the ansi log, I just prefer to edit it while still in ansi color.

If you actually checked the page I linked to, you'd see that you can edit it while it is still in ansi color and the converter feature is just something they added on later. I'm not really sure why they gave the page that title actually. Actually, yes I am: I bet it was to get more hits from search engines since that will be what most people Google.
chamenas
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:19 pm   

Awesome, the HTML works much better. Only one problem, when you go to open the log you need to click on the file and then switch to "open HTML" otherwise it wont show the file. Is it possible to fix that?
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:22 pm   

I think it depends upon the file extension to open it properly. So just make sure your log file has the *.htm extension.
chamenas
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:27 pm   

Oh yeah, all of mine start off as .txt, for a moment I thought CMUD was doing that by default.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: