Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Seb
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:59 am   

Default ordering on main Downloads page is odd

I'm not sure the ordering works by default on the main Downloads page, but it is weird. On Monday I was looking for the CMUD Help viewer and it wasn't on the first page. Yesterday, I was looking for TeSSH and it wasn't either, despite just being released (in Preview). Now it is though, perhaps as a result of a few downloads? Also, maybe the CMUD stuff should be at the top now? Or make the default ordering by date? No biggie: just some thoughts / ideas for better visibility on the major products...
Guinn
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:15 am   

I've thought that odd too, I'd think it should be CMUD/CMUDPro, then TeSSH second, CMapper when it's out, then zStuff at the end.

Also, CMUD isn't even mentioned on the Products page
http://forums.zuggsoft.com/index.php?page=10
Arde
Enchanter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:05 pm   

Guinn:
why bother mention unknown CMUD product on the products page if "zMUD is the fastest and most versatile MUD/Telnet client for PC/Windows" (http://www.zuggsoft.com/page.php?file=zmud/zmudinfo.htm) and even "The fastest and most versatile MUD client available!" (http://www.zuggsoft.com) Mr. Green (just kidding)

Why I can agree with the fact that site requires cosmetic update, personally I prefer Zugg has his hands full (sorry, Zugg! Rolling Eyes) with CMUD\CMapper rather than with site.
Seb
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:11 pm   

Arde wrote:
Why I can agree with the fact that site requires cosmetic update, personally I prefer Zugg has his hands full (sorry, Zugg! Rolling Eyes) with CMUD\CMapper rather than with site.

Well, at one point at least, Zugg mentioned he could do website work in the evenings, sometimes, after his good CMUD coding time has gone.
Arde
Enchanter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:13 pm   

Heh, sorry. Very Happy I wanted to write "while", but eh...
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:42 pm   

The Products page is actually an automatic listing of Sticky items in the Announcements forum. And it's the same list given on the main www.zuggsoft.com home page. On that page, the CMUD product is listed specially, so I didn't create an Announcement post for it (so that it wouldn't show up twice).

Once I move CMUD from the special announcement box into the Announcement forum, then the Products page will update itself automatically. Guess I should get around to doing that at some point.

The order of items on the Downloads page is by download count, but split into two groups. I can mark particular files as "pinned" which forces them into the top section of their respective category pages. So the main download page is showing all of the "pinned" files (sorted by download count), followed by the rest of the files sorted by download count.

Again, I'm just using an open-source download MOD for the MX-Portal system. I don't have the time to write all of that web code myself.
Seb
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:53 pm   

Ah, that makes sense then. I think it would be better if both categories were sorted (independently) by date, especially as the most popular ones have their download pages. No biggie though. I particularly found it strange that TeSSH wasn't on the 1st page though, but then I was the first to download it... Wink
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:08 pm   

One of the other problems is that I reset the download count for CMUD and CMUDPro with new versions. So this keeps pushing it down to the bottom of the first section. Maybe I should stop resetting those counters so that CMUD ends up higher than zMapper on the list.
Seb
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:23 pm   

Yeah, maybe, although you probably want to know how many of each version (or at least the latest version) were downloaded - I don't know if you can track that separately...
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » Website or Forum problems All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: