Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Worgzark
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:33 am   

If I buy Zmud or Cmud can I still get a licence for both programs.

There was a two for one deal not long ago if I buy Zmud or Cmud can I still get a licence for both programs. Also do I get continuously free upgrades for cmud like I can with zmud?
Seb
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:43 am   

Yes, on the first count, according to the store (Purchase link). There's still an offer there. CMUD includes free major upgrades for 2 years, minor updates afterwards (and possibly beta versions) up until the next major version - after 2 years, it depends on when Zugg decides.
Worgzark
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:51 am   

What happened to the customers shouldn't have to pay for upgrades philosophy applied to zmud?
Seb
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:03 am   

CMUD is not an upgrade to zMUD: it's a different product. Search the forums for more (with preference for newer threads): we don't need yet another thread on that subject.
Guinn
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:13 am   

Worgzark wrote:
What happened to the customers shouldn't have to pay for upgrades philosophy applied to zmud?

Simply, it was putting Zugg out of business.
If there are any further upgrades to zMUD then they'll continue to be free but, as Seb mentioned, CMUD is a new product with new pricing.
Worgzark
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:08 pm   

Ok...I didn't say CMUD was an upgrade to ZMUD. I asked why there was a change in philosophy. Thankyou Guinn, I guess Zugg going out of buisness is a good reason. However I don't understand how producing ZMUD, even if it's repackaged with slightly different functionalty and called CMUD would drive ZUGG out of buisness. Doesn't matter, what I bought is value for money. It's just a pity that there has been a change in attitude because it seems hypocritical and smells a bit like greed.
ralgith
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:12 pm   

Except that CMUD isn't just a repackaged zMUD with a few new features. Zugg has pretty much written it from scratch. Oh sure he's used some of the same modules, but thats the whole point of writing modular code in the first place. Not only that, but the functionality of CMUD is GREATLY expanded over zMUD. Especially the compiled scripts.
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:02 pm   

Quote:
However I don't understand how producing ZMUD, even if it's repackaged with slightly different functionalty and called CMUD would drive ZUGG out of buisness.

zMUD doesn't make enough new sales year on year to sustain Zugg and Chiara. CMUD will follow the same route eventually as they are the same user base.

Assume zMUD and CMUD have 5,000 users. Assume each year 500 new users start playing muds and 500 existing users stop playing muds.

zMUD Model...
Year 1 he makes 5000x$30 = $150,000
Year 2 he makes 500x$30 = $15,000 from the new users and nothing from the existing 4500 users that continue to play but don't pay for improvements.
Not enough to live on after year 1...

CMUD Model...
Year 1 he makes $150,000
Year 2 he makes $15,000 from the new users and anywhere from $0 to $67,500 from the existing 4500 users that continue to play and either do or don't want upgrades (at the 50% reduced upgrade price). We'll take the middle number, $33,750
So year 2 and onwards it's $48,750

Repeat custom is the only way to survive...

I've plucked the figures completely out of the air, but the problem with the zMUD model is pretty apparent.
Worgzark
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:40 pm   

Thanks guys I understand now why Zugg has had to take this path. Also having had another look at Cmud I see it is significantly improved over Zmud. Not only that I got Cmud for free when I bought Zmud, I get 2 years worth of free major upgrades and all the minor upgrades for free anyway. So it's all good. Thanks for clearing this up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: