Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Lina
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:06 pm   

[2.29] Disabling Package Modules and CTRL-Q Speeds

Making use of the code given in http://forums.zuggsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=29357&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 for making a load of triggers in different folders, I tried to check the speeds of having these triggers in various packages. Basically I made a package of each folder, a total of four.

Different scenerios tested with CTRL-Q -
Everything enabled : abt 80.1
Packages disabled : abt 80.1
All triggers individually disabled : abt 12
All folders itself disabled : abt 12

I find it strange that with the packages disabled that there was no difference to the CTRL-Q figures. Is there a specific reason for this? Thoughts? :)

Edit: typo
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:33 pm   

What do you mean by "package disabled"? What option are you changing, and where?

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
Lina
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:54 pm   

Inside the Package Editor, by right clicking on the package name and unchecking 'enable'.
Toxic
Adept

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:55 pm   

So in otherwords, Lina really means Module/Window. You can't enable/disable an entire package. You just remove it.
Lina
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:03 pm   

If that is so, then the option to disable it from right-clicking should be removed completely. I just tested with the packages I have. When I turned off the packages with alias warrior in it, the alias no longer worked. This leaves me to believe that one can disable a package from there. However, it is still passing through the test of CTRL-Q.
Lina
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:05 pm   

I just checked. I'm doing the right-clicking inside the tree panel of the package editor window.
Toxic
Adept

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:12 pm   

Your confusing your 'Package' with 'Modules' inside of that package. The tree pattern you see inside of the Tree Panel in the PE is //module(or window)/class/subclass
Lina
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:18 pm   

Fair enough. I call it package, since that was how it was given to me. And what it was called when I created a new package. Too many terms refering to too many similar things. :P
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:41 pm   

Once again, please refer to the Terminology page. It's very simple..."Package" refers to the *.PKG file itself that contains your settings. Within this package can be several windows or modules. Each window or module contains the actual aliases, triggers, variables, etc. By default when you create a new package file, CMUD creates the first module or window with the same name as the package file itself.

So, can you please post the exact steps that you used to create all of the different folders? My guess is that you are putting them within different modules, but we need your exact steps to reproduce your results.
Lina
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:20 pm   

Was using code below to test various things with ctrl-Q.
Code:
#loop 500 {#trig %concat("s_",%i) {*test1*} {} "stars"};#loop 500 {#trig %concat("ns_",%i) {test1} {} "nostars"};#loop 500 {#regex %concat("rs_",%i) {.*test1.*} {} "regexstars"};#loop 500 {#regex %concat("rns_",%i) {test1} {} "regexnostars"}

These triggers were created inside the Window(blue window icon), as seen in the Package Editor. I then created four new packages, P1 to P4 (same name for the respective modules for each package) and proceeded to place one of each created folder from above code into the packages' module. After which, I did a few ctrl-Q tests. One with everything fully enabled. Two with all individual triggers disabled. Three with the folders disabled. And four with the modules disabled. Test 2 and 3 behaved as expected and the ctrl-Q tests showed vast increases in speed in comparison to test 1. Test 4, however, showed no increase in speed at all, in fact, remained about the same as Test 1.

My question is simple. Is this a correct result? yes or no is enough to satisfy my curiousity. Thanks.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:38 pm   

I just tried this and I could not reproduce your problem.

1) Used the above script to create 4 folders of triggers
2) Go into Settings Editor. Use File/New Package to create 4 packages (test1, test2, test3, test4)
3) Move each class from the untitled window into one of the packages (so now each package has one class folder containing triggers, and untitled doesn't have anything in it).
4) Press Ctrl-Q on the command line. This is for everything enabled. I got a time of 80.5 here.
5) Go into each package and right-click on the class folder (in the tree on the left) and uncheck the Enabled option
6) Now Press Ctrl-Q (all classes disabled). I got a time of 16.5
7) Go back into each package and right-click on the class folder and re-enable it. Then right-click on the module name above it and uncheck the Enabled option for the module
8) Press Ctrl-Q (classes enabled, but modules disabled). I still got a time of 16.5.

Try these exact steps and let me know what you get (other people should try this too). If your procedure differs from mine, please post the exact differences.

Disabling the modules *should* be the same as disabling the classes. So if you are getting a slow speed when the modules are disabled, then something is wrong somewhere. It might be a bug, but I need a way to reproduce it.
Lina
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:52 pm   

Gone through the steps as listed. Don't have the problem this time. Got 78 for Step 4, 11.7 for Step 6 and 12.2 for Step 8.

But now thinking back, I think I might have messed my original results due to the 'RecordIndex out of range.' Error message I kept getting. I did send these through the error sending system. I just realised that perhaps I shouldn't be dragging the folders back and forth like I'm normally used to. For the steps above, I used the 'move to' option on right-click menu. Thanks for all the trouble. :)
Lina
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:56 pm   

I just tried reproducing the results by causing the errors repeatedly. No luck so far. Oh well. Question answered, I guess.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:59 pm   

Dragging folders shouldn't cause a problem though. I was dragging folders in my example. It's possible that there are still some bugs somewhere in dragging. The "recordindex out of range" bug used to happen in older versions of CMUD, but they shouldn't happen anymore. So if you find a way to reproduce that, please let me know. Unfortunately, just looking at the crash dump for it doesn't help much without a procedure to try and reproduce it. That particular error message is a pretty generic way for Windows to say that the TreeView is confused and has lost track of the data in the tree.

Edited: By dragging, what I specifically did was drag the class folder from the Untitled window and drop it over the tab for the package I was moving it too.

Once you get an error like that, you really need to exit CMUD though, or at least close the settings editor. It can definitely cause other weird errors or even cause corruption in your packages if you continue to use CMUD after an error like that. The "Continue application" option is really only there for people who need to get to a safe place on their MUD before restarting CMUD.
Lina
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:59 pm   

I dragged the class folder from the module icon to the untitled window, all inside the tree panel. And also the reverse, from the untitled window to the module icon. I get the error about 90% of the time using this means. I tried dragging into the tabs, as per your edit, those work fine, so I'm going to use that in future. :)
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:08 pm   

Hmm, so are you normally using the "All" tab to view all of the modules at once? When I was doing the test, I was in the "untitled" tab so there wasn't any "module icon" for me to drag the class to. So I guess I'm still confused about exactly what you are dragging from where to where. If you get an error 90% of the time, then it might be something I can find and fix if I can get more detailed instructions on it.
Larkin
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:47 pm   

Lina mentioned this to me before posting it. Yes, she uses the "all" tab to view everything at once. It's a more familiar view for some who used zMUD for so long. I use it myself when I need to search all my packages for something and forgot where I stuck it.
Lina
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:58 pm   

Yes, I normally use the 'All' tab. It annoys me in my normal session that it keeps moving away from the 'all' tab. But anyways, this error seems to only happen in the untitled window so far. I opened CMUD, went into Untitled Session. Then opened Package Editor. Created a new class 'TestClass' in Untitled Window. Created a new package 'TestPkg'. Then clicked on 'All' tab view. And dragged 'TestClass' class from Untitled Window (blue window icon) to 'Testpkg' module icon. The error pops up for me. Moving the Class back and forth does continue with the errors as well.

Edit: I was wrong. Just tried it in an empty Imperian session, and the error occured as well.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:54 pm   

Ah ha! Yes, I was able to reproduce it with that method. I also see what you mean by the All tab always changing back to the untitled tab. I hardly ever use the All tab, so I hadn't run into those problems. But I've added both of them to the bug list. Thanks for your patience in helping me to reproduce this problem.
Lina
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:18 pm   

Any time. Thank you. :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: