Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
The1nk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:55 am   

[2.26] Portability?

Hey. I'm currently using the trial version of 2.26 CMud. (I was using 2.25, but then saw the public release of 2.26, so hopped on it :-P)

Anywho, I'm wondering how I can make this mud client portable? Mine is currently housed on my 8gb Lexar FireFly Flashdrive, but unfortunately - even "High Speed" USB 2.0 is too slow for any real-time tasks. This program gets bogged down because of the limitations of the USB port, and to combat that - I set up a batch file that would copy the entire CMud directory over to the C:\ Drive, then run the app. And when it closed, it would copy all the files back over onto the flash drive. This was supposed to save my new settings - Triggers/Aliases, etc... but to no avail! It removes any changes I've made! I've tried a few things already, and am wondering what the bloody 'ell is going on!?!?!

Also, another question about portability. I mainly use two computers for mudding, the one I'm on now (At work) and the one I use at home. I'm currently using the trial, and on my PC here at work I have around 17 days left, while at home I have 25 or so. When I purchase this app - which mainly relies on whether or not I can make it portable - will I need two licenses, or will just one work fine ?

Thanks in advance. :)
charneus
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:31 am   

The best way to make it "portable" is to save your packages each time you close CMUD to your flashdrive and open them with whatever computer you are using.

Zugg is working (in the future) with MyMuds.com, which I believe will allow you to do what you want with a bit more ease.

As for licensing, you'll only need to purchase CMUD once. The license key you get upon initial purchase can be used on both computers. However, only one instance of CMUD should be running at any time. As a footnote, the period of time that key is good for is one week. If you fail to install it on both within a week, you'll have to request a new one. Simple task, but nicer if you can avoid it.

Charneus
Guinn
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:48 am   

It could be that CMUD is saving to your 'My Documents\My Games' folder now. If that's the case then you'll need to add lines to the batch file to copy that folder to/from the USB too.
Arminas
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:57 pm   

If you are copying over the CMUD directory from program files then that is the whole problem.
CMUD stores it's files in the My Games directory by default as Guinn mentioned.

I cannot see any gain from carrying the expanded CMUD program directory from the USB though.
Once your trail period runs out and you have to register CMUD won't run from the USB either.
The program writes information to your registry to keep track of the trail period. So just
install CMUD to whicher machines you are using and carry your .pkg files on your USB.

There are a few threads about using CMUD with USB drives. Have a look at this one.
http://forums.zuggsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=30586&highlight=
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: