Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
OldGlory
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 4:54 pm   

EXTREME HELP W/CMUD NEEDED

My mudding days are completely over at 70-years-old, and I'm absolutely heart-broken! For about 12 years MUDding gave my life a totally different aspect from the day-to-day things
that most seniors do.

My son installed Vista (grrrrrrrrr) while I was grocery shopping one day. I had not UNINSTALLED my zMUD616. After two weeks of communicating with eLicense/following their instructions/running tests, eLicense informed my son to forget it as it just couldn't be done. The horrible part is that I purchased my original zMUD in 1999 or earlier, and so I have zillions of maps, aliases, triggers, etc.

I downloaded a trial copy of CMUD (which has about 2 weeks remaining) and would have bought it, but I just cannot get my mind around doing all that figuring out as to what is meant on reloading my zMUD files, etc. (Cripes! I must be the only 70-year-old in the universe who still wants to mud!)

I am very sad because my comprehensive abilities are so much below all you 'kids' in the forums who have had probably 12 years + of schooling using computers and attendant technology:) I have spent the days/nights searching the forums in an attempt to understand and use CMUD. I thought more than once that I conquered it, but alas I did not. Apparently, the biggest problem is one must have at least zMUD721 installed in order for CMUD to transfer files such as the maps, aliases, etc. I never purchased zMUD721, because I was completely happy using zMUD616. My map files are numerous and extremely detailed. I just cannot endure 're-mapping' the game yet again.

MY PLEA is for some kind person with lots of patience/time who would be willing to write/email (using laymen's terminology) STEP by STEP instructions on d/l my zMUD files to CMUD (with no operable zMUD721), and exactly how to use CMUD and what I need to do to set-up my files, etc. Also, someone patient enough for dealing with me until I understand what to do. Understand that anything I learned 12 years ago is no longer part of my thinking! Shoot! I don't even know if I've handled this post correctly!

Larkin
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:07 pm   

Your zMUD registration code from 6.16 should also work with 7.21. Judging by the fact that you've only just joined the forums today, I'm going to hazard a guess that you won't be able to log in to the store page to request a license code (they expire after 7 days, but you can always have a new one e-mailed to you for future registrations). I recommend you contact sales@zuggsoft.com about the upgrade licensing. The 7.21 version should work a lot better on Windows Vista, now that the eLicense stuff has been removed, but you'll have to run it as administrator (right-click the zMUD shortcut, select Properties, and go to the Compatibility tab).

I hope I'm still MUDding (and coding) when I'm 70 years old! (Got about 36 more years to go to get there.) Very Happy
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 10:13 pm   

Larkin: Remember that we stopped using eLicense in 7.21, so his eLicense key doesn't work in 7.21. We have actually already been in contact with this user and can give him his 7.21 code, but he doesn't want to use 7.21. And no version of zMUD is supported on Vista, even 7.21. While it works in many cases, it still has problems.

So I was actually the one that encouraged OldGlory to come onto the forums and post his problem, in hopes that someone can help him access his old files. Since the mapper file format hasn't changed, he should be able to just manually copy his maps into his CMUD session folder and still be able to use them. But I don't know what other scripts he has that he might need help with.

Anyway, just wanted people to know that he has already gone through the "email zuggsoft" process ;) He really needs someone very patient who can go through some step by step instructions.
Nezic
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 10:59 pm   

One possible idea..

If your old copy of WinXP (and XP license #) was retail and not OEM, you could install XP into a VM image and run it with VMPlayer to use zMUD 616. If it was an OEM license, or you don't have your retail license anymore, then this wouldn't work of course..

If you don't have a retail license, you could see if someone you know has a retail license for XP that they no longer use (maybe your son? Wink ), and ask them if they can give it to you so you can install XP in a VM.

Running programs in a VM isn't a perfect solution, but if you also install VMTools inside the VM image, most things work well (in particular, copy/paste of files and text between the VM and host OS works great). If you have a license and want to try this out, I (and I'm sure several others here) can help walk you through setting up VMPlayer.

As a side note: Whatever you do, make a backup copy or two of your zMUD settings and maps first!
Larkin
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 11:53 pm   

I wasn't saying that he'd have to use 7.21 for his MUDding, however. Just saying that he could run it on Vista (as admin) and use 7.21 to allow CMUD to import the .mud files. More of a "middle man" in the conversion process, if you will.

One possible solution would be to just e-mail the .mud file(s) to someone with both zMUD 7.21 and CMUD installed to do the conversion for him. That would minimize the pain of the migration, and then we could certainly answer any further questions here on the forums.
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 1:13 am   

I guess I am your man. I have the patience required. Start by sending me an email. The steps to do this are click on my name to the left of this text, then click the email button in the following page. Just include something brief that lets me know it is in regards to this topic and we can run from there.

My basic aim will be to do the entire conversion for you. I shouldn't have any real trouble importing the 6.16 files along since my zMud archive goes back to 6.62. I am sure compatibilty won't be an issue.
oldguy2
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 1:41 am   

Haha! I felt kind of embarrassed sometimes for still playing games but you have me beat by a stretch my friend. lol Awesome!
marill

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:16 pm   

Nice thread! I really like your provided information. It's really helpful for me.
Thanks a lot!
OldGlory
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:52 pm   

Just wanted all to know how very much I appreciated the responses to my dilemma. Vijilante (man of patience) had me all fixed up in just a couple of days.

I've spent a couple of days tweaking my maps, but have not touched the aliases, etc. I'll get there though :) All the things that you kids instinctively know, I spend hours reading about and checking what the heck the terminology means. And for whatever reason, I'm having an awful time saving the changes I do make. :( Very, very aggravating to be on this side of the hill!!
chamenas
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:05 am   

OldGlory wrote:
Just wanted all to know how very much I appreciated the responses to my dilemma. Vijilante (man of patience) had me all fixed up in just a couple of days.

I've spent a couple of days tweaking my maps, but have not touched the aliases, etc. I'll get there though :) All the things that you kids instinctively know, I spend hours reading about and checking what the heck the terminology means. And for whatever reason, I'm having an awful time saving the changes I do make. :( Very, very aggravating to be on this side of the hill!!

The fact that you're still able to MUD and apparently be somewhat active isn't half bad for your side of the hill Smile
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:36 am   

Especially when you consider how much quicker he got it working than you did Chamenas Twisted Evil
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:50 am   

Zing, burn Sad

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
chamenas
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:35 pm   

Guinn wrote:
Especially when you consider how much quicker he got it working than you did Chamenas Twisted Evil

I didn't have a personal attendant Razz ('sides, I got it working right off the bat, he had stuff to transfer over, poor joke, poor joke)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: