Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Post new topic  Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next
Mike102978
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 2:29 pm   

cmud issues, error messages, i'm new to this

Hello,

When I upgraded to the latest version of CMUD, it would not let me to connect to any muds. It says "Host unreachable." I'm sorry I'm not the most technical of people, but there also seems to be an issue when I tried to go back to my last version of cmud. I ended up re-doing my whole system with system restore to a week ago, Wednesday. I have had error messages throughout, and issues with getting my gaming experience to equal what it was before.

I would like to upgrade to the next version, and continue to use cmud. Should I remove the whole thing from my computer and start over?

I'm worried that the new cmud will still say "host unreachable" and not let me on.

Please help,
Mike
Mike102978
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 2:33 pm   

This is the error every time I start cmud:

An error occurred in the application.

Access violation at address 00C3EFC7 in module "cMUD.exe'. Read of address 00000000.
Larkin
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 4:13 pm   

If I were you, I'd uninstall, delete the Program Files\CMUD directory, delete the My Games\CMUD directory, and then install the new version cleanly. It also helps to tell us what version of Windows you're using and your installation choices, such as where your data files are stored.
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 5:00 pm   

Seriously, the "continue" button on the crash dialogue needs removing. You should practically never continue the application after an exception's happened, but everyone seems to.

Anyway, Larkin's right - reinstall CMUD and see if that helps.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
Anaristos
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:32 pm   

It's suicidal to re-start CMUD in the middle of a fight, Fang! Very Happy (I have had it bomb during melee, so I know)
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 4:37 pm   still cmud issues - host unreachable?

Okay guys.

I removed everything cmud from my computer - uninstall, program files, and my games.

I re-downloaded the setup file.

It still will not connect to muds like the old version did. It says "Host Unreachable"

How can I fix this?

Please help.
Mike
Dharkael
Enchanter

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 5:28 pm   

Larkin wrote:
It also helps to tell us what version of Windows you're using and your installation choices, such as where your data files are stored

Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 5:51 pm   

Can you connect to the same mud using telnet? Start->Run->telnet

Do you have any proxies defined in any fashion?
Mike102978
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 6:23 pm   

I'm using Windows XP professional 2002 service pack 2

I'm not sure how to telnet to a mud.

The previous version of cmud worked this morning. I uninstalled everything, reinstalled the new cmud, and now "host unreachable"

I also have a problem connecting with firefox and ie. Think that matters? I use Maxthon
bortaS
Magician

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 7:21 pm   

If both FireFox and IE are not connecting then the problem is probably with your internet connection.
Mike102978
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 7:23 pm   

but the old cmud works (which i dont have now because i removed everything this time)

*sigh*
bortaS
Magician

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 7:27 pm   

Can you connect to the internet with any of your browsers?

Open a command-line, and type "ping cnn.com" without the quotes. If that returns, host unreachable, then it's your internet connection. To get to the command line, click on Start, then find Accessories. You should then see a shortcut called "Command Promp".
Mike102978
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 7:34 pm   

it works when i use the "Maxthon Browser"
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 7:50 pm   

If some applications can connect to the internet but others can't, it's likely going to be some network security thing that's being too stringent. Make sure your anti-virus and firewall are set to allow CMUD's traffic. If you're trying to connect via a proxy or a similarly-secured network (work and school networks often do this) then make sure that they allow traffic on whatever port you're trying to use.

Mike102978
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 8:06 pm   

Okay. Cmud version 1.34 (downloaded from elsewhere because I couldnt find it here) works fine.

there are error messages again, but at least i can play

Why does the old version work, and not the new?

What changed?
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 8:20 pm   

Many hundreds of things changed between CMUD 1.34 and CMUD 2.25, but none of them were "break connectivity for some users". If it's a bug that's causing this problem, it's one that nobody else has reported.

You telnet to a MUD by pressing run on the start menu and typing telnet in there. In the window that opens, type open address port, so open imperian.com 23 and see if that can connect. You could also try typing cmd into the run box and then doing ping imperian.com:23 and see if that works, too. You should substitute your mud for Imperian there.

Mike102978
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 8:52 pm   

Thanks for being clear.

telnet wotmud.org 2222 WORKS

ping wotmud.org:2222 DID NOT FIND HOST

My other (free client) GMUD works fine. And the old version of cmud (which is what i went back too because of the map feature) works fine.

If I upgrade, it doesnt work. Simply stated. I payed money for cmud, and want it to work. I was upset about that, not the fact that people are trying to help me.

I have no idea why the new cmud doesnt work.

Mike
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:23 pm   

Seems that wotmud blocks pinging, so that's inconclusive.

Trouble is that there're no current issues with CMUD not connecting. Nobody's reported anything like that before, and nothing's changed recently that would break it. So it's likely (not certainly, but likely) to be something wrong with your computer specifically. The fact that neither firefox nor ie works as well is another pointer in that direction. The trouble is that we don't know how you have your computer set up (how you connect to the internet, via whom, what security programs you're using, what proxy settings you have, etc etc).

I assume you have a firewall; have you tried disabling it? Have you tried with another computer on the same network?

Caled
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 11:48 pm   

Are you playing from home, a university/school network, etc?
Dharkael
Enchanter

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 12:30 am   

Mike102978 wrote:
ping wotmud.org:2222 DID NOT FIND HOST

It wouldn't
you need to
Code:
ping wotmud.org

You don't specifiy a port when pinging so wotmud.org:2222 would have it trying to ping a non-existent domain.
Mike102978
Beginner

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 2:11 pm   

ping wotmud.org works!!

I'm playing at home. It is a wireless network. I also tried on dialup AOL, and same, old version works, and the upgrade does not work.

At work it is blocked. I would need to use something like mosha.net to connect at school. If someone knows how to get cmud to work that way, could you let me know? (url: http://www.mosha.net/01-telnet-gateway/java.shtml)

Anyhow. It is really frustrating at the old version still works - with errors, and the upgrade does not connect. I'm sorry that because nobody else has this problem, I'm pretty much screwed?

I did pay for Cmud, and would like the new version to work. *sigh*
Taz
GURU

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 4:28 pm   

Follow the instructions for Cliser at http://www.mosha.net/pub/cliser/cliser.html in order to use mosha while at school.

Also I suggest following the instructions and using it at home to attempt to use the v2.25 release too.
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 4:57 pm   

I wish someone could come here and help me get it to work.

I just don't know enough about this to try to get mosha/cliser to connect at work or home.

Mike
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:39 pm   

Trouble is that nobody's reported this problem before, so we don't really know what to suggest. We'll have to wait for Zugg to get back and see what he can come up with :(

Taz
GURU

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 6:19 pm   

Mike102978 wrote:
I wish someone could come here and help me get it to work.
I'm assuming you live in the US so if you're willing to pay for a return flight from the UK I'll come and fix it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: