makena
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:10 pm   

When will the next version come out?

Has work even begun?
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:22 pm   

Same time every other version will come out: when it's done. If you read Zugg's blog, you'll hear that once Zugg came back from Christmas, he began the (long and arduous) process of upgrading to Delphi 2007, which will help CMUD development in the future and support for Vista. Changes to CMUD's code for 2.19 haven't begun yet - I'm sure Zugg will post a massive sigh of relief to let us know that he's finished upgrading to Vista ;)

If you look at the CMUD version history, you'll see that releases are slower at the beginning of the year. Over the same period last year, there were very few releases (none until March, in fact) and there were no Delphi upgrades that year. It's not time to be impatient yet.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:19 pm   

You should also read the New Year's Letter for 2008 which contains the roadmap for the work planned this year.
Larkin
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:44 am   

We're always impatient. Right? Razz
makena
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:16 pm   

I understand the dev cycles.
-feels like 2-4 stable public releases last year, 2.18, 1.34 and 1.2x

I've read the New Year's Letter for 2008 a few weeks ago.
I only saw the following:
"As usual, I'll also be focused on continuing to improve the stability of CMUD and the documentation."
and
"The 2.18 Public version released in December is the most stable version of CMUD to-date. And even though there are still plenty of bugs to fix and things to improve, I think it's in very good shape for the majority of MUD players to start using now."
I saw no times given for these statements, therefore I asked my original question. I understand "a roadmap" does not usually have dates or times, but my inquiry was about the timing of a new release.

Funny I was labeled impatient from a 4 word post.
Perhaps I should of asked, "When will work begin?". Less of a loaded question.
But, I do think that bugs and bugs of new features should have highest priority.
Don't get me wrong, I have plenty of love and patience for CMUD. (I have bought MULTIPLE copies of CMUD to show my support)
I sing the praises of CMUD from snowy mountain top to zombie infested dungeon (on my mud).
I would be lost without 1.34, and love it, even if it is over 6 months old now.

Edit: spelling
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:27 pm   

I didn't mean to label you impatient - I can see how you'd think that, and I apologise. I was trying to speak more generally - I myself am certainly feeling some pangs. No new version for almost two months makes me sad :( But I'll grin and bear it, because I'll have to.

cuprohastes
Wanderer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:59 pm   

I'd say that claiming 2.18 is ready for most people to use is rather jumping the gun. When the spell checker crashes the app, and using an alias for page or whispers strips out the ", and typing "hello!" will cause the line not to be sent unless you turn off parsing which disables all the aliases...
That's not even close to being ready for public use.
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:35 pm   

You should report any problems you're having in their own thread, preferably with a separate thread for each problem - then we can help confirm whether they're bugs or not and give you advice for solving them. Please try to give as much detail as possible.

ReedN
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:14 am   

Given the amount of bugs uncovered in the public version I'm anxious to see them resolved. Last I understood Zugg was still converting over to a new version of software, but apparently that's taking longer than expected because earlier posts by Zugg said bugs would be addressed around the end of January.

I don't suppose there is any chance of putting the software updates on hold to fix the most egregious of bugs present in the public version? I know there are lots of people that are highly frustrated by the bugs in the public version, however, I've yet to see anybody expressing anxiety about when the Delphi updates are going to occur.

I know I'm going to get a lot of people screaming at me to be patient, but it's been two months already and this latest version is marked public. I could expect the level of bugs in a beta version, but to release this as a public version then let it sit for months with these bugs is a little cruel.
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:01 am   

The two aren't mutually exclusive - some of the bugs in CMUD are caused by Delphi and the third-party components that Zugg uses. These updates let him upgrade them to the latest version (and make future patches to the components easier), which hopefully solves a lot of CMUD problems. Read some of the posts near the end of this thread - some of them mention the problems with the package editor that've (hopefully) been solved by this upgrade.

Finally, this sort of upgrade isn't something you can stop halfway through. Installing Delphi 2007 and new versions of the third-party components will have broken things that'll require fixing before a new version can be released. You can't just stop upgrading components and compile CMUD with the upgrades half-done - it'd probably create more bugs than it solved.

Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:29 pm   

Quote:
The 2.18 Public version released in December is the most stable version of CMUD to-date.

My statement about 2.18 being the most stable version is actually supported by facts. This is based upon tracking the number of reported crash dumps vs the number of times CMUD is executed. When you run CMUD, it accesses a web page to determine what the latest version is, so I can track exactly how many times CMUD is being run around the world.

This doesn't mean that there aren't some specific bugs that are causing some specific people problems. But don't just assume because you see a couple of vocal people complaining in these forums that *everyone* is having these problems. For the vast majority of users, 2.18 is working very well.

Also, it hasn't really been 2 months. We took a vacation around Christmas, so that time doesn't count. And the beginning of the year is very busy with other work like U.S. taxes and various business reporting requirements. But yes, the conversion to Delphi 2007 and the update of all of the components has taken longer than planned, and as mentioned in my blog, I decided to fix the problems in the TreeView used in the Settings Editor at the same time, since the settings editor accounts for over 50% of the reported crash dumps.

So, I *am* working on bug fixes too and I'm trying to address the area of CMUD that has the most crashes (the settings editor, and also the layout/docking system). But I'm not going to promise any specific deadlines...I'll release the next version when it's ready.

I guess I just have you guys spoiled by the 28 new versions released last year. Just because I release a new version every week towards the end of a beta cycle doesn't mean I can keep that up all year. Geez...look at most other software where you are lucky to get an update every year. Try to remember that I'm just one person and that I don't have dozens of programmers working for me.

And cuprohastes: put your bug reports in separate forum topics like everyone has been telling you to. This is not the topic for them.
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:36 pm   

Because I'm a stickler for statistics, I thought I'd whip up a quick graph to show CMUD releases by date. It definitely shows the beginnings of a trend - steady CMUD releases over the year, ramping up towards the end of the year and then falling between December and March. It'll be interesting to see how the trend develops in the future.

Also, for the curious, here's one for zMUD. It starts in December 1996 - there's no date info in the changelog before then.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: