Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
MNGrizzly
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:40 pm   

[2.18] Corruption Issues Copying XML Between Sessions

In trying to track down another issue, I've been trying to essentially copy all the functionality of an existing session into a new one, by copy/pasting the XML between the two in the session editor.

At first I tried to copy the XML for the entire session into the new one, but the editor never allowed me to save it, it would just clear the XML entry box when I clicked save. At this point, I decided to do it class by class for my main eight or so classes.

This semi-worked. Most of the things transfered all right, but I ran into a couple access violations which at one point corrupted the entire package I was trying to create. I tried again, under a new name, and was able to get each class copied over, but when I started looking through the new package I'd created via XML, there were all sorts of corrupted triggers, variables, and aliases. Some were simply missing, some were appearing in the wrong class, others kept their names, but switched type... i.e. Triggers and Variables winding up as Class Names.

I've tried this a few times, and it seems very repeatable.
Taz
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:19 am   

No doubt this will be a major pain but would be excellent if you have the time to oblige. Could you start the process over but write down step by step instructions up to the point that you get a corruption. Once you've got the instructions done send the package(s) for the original session along with the instructions to support@zuggsoft.com since without this I doubt very much that Zugg will be able to replicate the problem.
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:50 am   

Just tried it again... even simpler this time, as I got the copy/paste of the entire project XML to work.

1. Launch Two Instances of CMUD. Open Source Session in one, create new 'destination' session in other.
2. Open Package Editor for both sessions.
3. Highlight the top level package name in the Source session, and switch to XML view. Copy the entire contents after line 4.
4. Highlight the top level package name in the Destination session, and paste in the copied XML. (After the three existing header lines.)
5. Click Save Changes.

In this case, only some of the classes from the Source made it to the Destination (at least in the proper locations) and you can see from the screen shot below even the few items at the root of the package weren't copied correctly.

Source package structure is shown on left, Destination on right.

Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:56 pm   

You'll need to send me the full XML file of the source package that you are trying to paste for me to reproduce this.
MNGrizzly
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:10 am   

Source XML Sent to support email address.
MNGrizzly
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:55 am   

Sorry for the shameless bump, but I have to ask, any progress on this?

It looks like now my earlier alarm issues were due to a package corruption, but due to this issue, I can't reliably recreate said package. I'm getting close to the point where I'm ready to give up on mudding because it isn't any fun to play as I keep clicking through these alarm exceptions that pop up, and I don't want to go back to zMud, since I wrote just enough new stuff into this for 1.34, I don't want to give it up and go back.

I appreciate everything you've done Zugg, and your taking the time to read these forums, but I'm not sure what else to do. I've invested enough time (the money at this point is secondary) into my CMUD purchase, I'm not wanting to go back to zMud, but at the same time, with all these exception problems, I can't currently do anything beyond chatting and general housekeeping tasks right now.

If you could at least give me a heads up and say yes, you know what the problem is, and it will be fixed in X number of days, or no, you have no idea what my problem is and I should just go back to zMud, that would at least help. I'm tired of walking away from every mudding session bitter, because half the things I try and do fire an alarm, which results in an unhandled exception.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:44 pm   

I am currently in the middle of converting my Development system to run Vista and to upgrade all of my development tools to Delphi 2007. Your report is still on the bug list, but I haven't looked at it yet and won't be doing bug fixing until the end of this month when I get my computers all working again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: