Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
kjaerhus
Magician

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:31 pm   

Oh, why did I upgrade...

It seems many of the bugs I encountered in CMUD 1.x but was eventually fixed is coming back to me with version 2.18. I wonder if Zugg didn't correct the code in both versions or something. Anyway, it seems to be hell for me once again. Zugg is trying to do too much at the same time I think. It's ok that CMUD is not perfect from the start, but it's not so new anymore and as a user of it I am growing tired. Never had any problems with Zmud - maybe Zugg should keep things more simple or get someone to help him with the code...
Asilient_1
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:46 pm   

I'm not following.

I've had virtually no problems with 2.18, whereas I couldn't do some of the simpler things without hitting a bug in 1.34.

What sort of problems are you having? There can't really be much said for "I'm having lots of problems" if you're saying "I'm having problems with this, this and this.." then you can get pointers.
haiku
Wanderer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:26 pm   

he's got a point. The whole upgrade process has left me with almost no desire to keep mudding. Everything has been screwed up... importing/exporting, back up packages being over written upon trying to open cmud with them, null pointers in things that weren't broken in either 1.3 or 2.11 beta....

What Zugg should work on for next time is a roll back to previous version of cmud with settings feature, because this upgrade set me back over a month -- and I don't have the time to rewrite entire bots any more. My wife is due to give birth any day now, and I'd wanted to have this stuff done by now.
kjaerhus
Magician

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:01 pm   

I have posted a few problems so far. However this thread is not about any one problem in particular but instead on CMUD as a whole and how I think it does the job. I have so many problems that I am not sure I care to post all of them because it does take some time to first find out what exactly what is wrong and then produce a good example. And when you then start meeting problem you encountered a reported earlier you kinda get the feeling that it probably won't help and perhaps the functionality could be achieved in another manner thereby going around the problem.

What specifically bothers me is that zugg keeps adding functionality while there are so many bugs that could be fixed instead. After changing from zMud to CMUD I have found myself in a situation where I use more time writing and debugging scripts than actually playing my favorite mud. And I do believe that you want to use CMUD to play a mud, not playing a mud to get to use CMUD if you understand what I mean.

I did have a somehow stable environment in the last 1.x - now I seem to be back where I was just after changing to CMUD. It's frustrating!
Arlie
Wanderer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:04 pm   

Sorry to hear you're having problems. I wish I could duplicate some; I have very complex scripts with several thousand triggers, aliases, events, functions, etc... and I've not had a single problem yet. Hopefully your problems can be answered soon.
kjaerhus
Magician

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:14 pm   

I find that hard to believe, honestly. But maybe you just have such a positive mind that you quickly forget... Wink
ralgith
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:07 pm   

I also have not had any scripting problems with 2.18
What OS are you using?
Vista itself causes many issues with it's ridiculous UAC stupidity.
That is more likely a source of problems than anything internal to CMUD.
I've turned UAC off on my machine, and don't have those problems anymore.
If you're running some other OS, forget about this of course ;)
But also remember that CMUD is only officially supported on XP and Vista.
Though I have run it under 2k and 2k3 with minimal problems. That is more along the lines of playing around for my personal benefit :)

Also, as for it overwriting backup packages... you should never in any program attempt to open a sole backup...
Always open a copy of the backup in case there IS a problem with the program corrupting the files. Saves a LOT of headaches.
Wanderer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:21 pm   

I'm using a fully patched version of XP pro. I just lost all my data (again) due to corruption issues, so at this point I think I'm done with mudding for a few months. 30 dollars well spent.
Rorso
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:47 pm   

There seems to be some bugs left, but the client is definitely improving.
ralgith
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:23 pm   

I feel sorry for haiku, but without more detailed information, we cannot help. Whining that there are problems doesn't help us help you correct them.
We need detailed client, OS, and settings information. Most likely IF you're experiencing corruption problems on importing packages, they packages were corrupt before from previous version. This has been discussed here a couple times now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: