Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
natural24

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:45 am   

Logging Room Name With Zone Name

I've been beating my head against the wall the entire week. I hope someone can help me.

From the following results from a where cmd.

{ 1 400 } [Builder], [Zone Name]
Players near you:
MyName [Room Name]

How can I make a trigger to take the Zone name and Room name and put it into a database so I can check it later to see what room is in what zone?

Thanks!
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:26 am   

Without more information on what that output means, what values are unique, or combination of values will be unique. I can't actually suggest a specific method. Also out of 6 different ways I can think of storing the information some methods will be useless for certain purposes. If you post again with everything you can imagine doing with the data, and some more details on what the number mean then I am sure one of us can provide a tailored solution.
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:15 pm   

Much, much easier than trying to do all this manually would be to just use zMUD's mapper. Then you can use the mapper's Find function to see what zones different rooms are in.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
natural24

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:21 pm   

Vijilante wrote:
Without more information on what that output means, what values are unique, or combination of values will be unique. I can't actually suggest a specific method. Also out of 6 different ways I can think of storing the information some methods will be useless for certain purposes. If you post again with everything you can imagine doing with the data, and some more details on what the number mean then I am sure one of us can provide a tailored solution.

Really want I hope to do is when I drag my bot thru areas on my mud as I xp the bot will log the room as being in the zone. What I hope to do with this data is write a alias to find out what room is in what area if I want to walk back to that certain room.

The reason I used where is it would list the room name + the zone name all in one command so I had hope to write some trigger off that. I just figured I could have the bot use where every time it enters the room.
natural24

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:23 pm   

My only problem with using the mapper is it does not tell when I enter a new zone. I would have to make a new zone. I have hopes to make this a completely automatically (ie: i'm lazy) done solution with little intervention from me.
Iceclaw
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:39 pm   

Zmapper's scripting options probably allow for the automated creation and moving of a new zone, but I don't know the specifics, perhaps someone who has this product can chime in.
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:25 pm   

And really, it's a small price to pay for the convenience - a script to do what you're after is going to very complicated indeed if you don't use the mapper. It'd be much easier to just set up the zones manually (you could make a trigger to send the command to the MUD that tells you the zone every time you change zone, for example). And oftentimes you want to group zones together (I have one "Highways" zone even though the roads between different places are separate zones with separate names).

natural24

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:34 pm   

so I'm best to use zmapper?
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:49 pm   

Using zMapper will make the automation you wanted easier, but if you can tolerate pressing Ctrl-Z occasionally, there's no reason you can't just use the built-in one.

natural24

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:51 pm   

Ok how would i do this with zmapper?
natural24

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:39 pm   

Ok someone helped me on the mud but I got a question.

My trigs are:

Pattern -
Natural24 %s (*)
Value -
say %1

Pattern -
} (%w), (%w)
Value -
say %2

Note: I just use say to test to see if it works which it shoots back the results.

I got the database set up. 2 fields Room and Area

First trig is for Room. Second is for area. How would I go about putting it in a database? I tried #new but nothing I do seem to work.
Seb
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:46 pm   

Frankly, I reckon using zMapper is going to be more difficult than building your own scripts and (database) record variable, and it doesn't give you the exact same result - you may not want to have your map separated into zones the same way the mud has them split. I know I have several mud zones in most of my map zones - otherwise I'd have to keep changing zone on the mapper to find anything.

You shouldn't actually need a full database if you only have two columns of data: RoomNumber and ZoneNumberOrName, so long as the RoomNumber is globally unique. You can use a record variable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: