Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Post new topic  Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum Goto page 1, 2  Next
Rorso
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:20 am   

[2.05] Ctrl-ESC

According to the changelog "Pressing Ctrl-ESC will send the command line script into a background thread", but isn't Ctrl-ESC reserved for Windows? It opens the Start-menu.
oldguy2
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:00 am   

Confirmed. Thats what happens for me too.
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:00 pm   

Weird considering that every keyboard in the whole world has a windows key now, but true enough. Can't be too hard to change to Shift- or Alt- though.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
Guinn
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:59 pm   

My 2yr old T43 Thinkpad doesn't have a windows key :)

Alt-ESC seems reserved too, looks like it's a quick way to switch between open applications
Shift-ESC seems alright
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:29 pm   

CMUD shouldn't actually care what control combination you use. As long as the ESC key is pressed, and some combination of Shift, Ctrl, Alt...doesn't matter. Ctrl-ESC seemed to work fine on my system here, but use whatever combo works best for you.
slicertool
Magician

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:37 pm   

Now that I'm actually in CMUD 2.05pro instead of 2.02 (stupid desktop icon), the Ctrl-Esc just pops open the start menu for me. Even when in CMUD Pro.
Enchanter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:45 pm   

Ctrl+Esc opens Windows Start menu as long as Win95 exist. May be it opened smth in 3.11 or earlier - can't remember now. And as Guinn mentioned, not all of keyboards have Win key.
The bad thing that now, in 2.05, I forced press Ctrl+Esc or anything+Esc far too often now.
-#SECTION can terminate threads
-Buttons can't start threads
Llwethen
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:22 pm   

If I press Ctrl+Esc the Start menu comes up. Pressing Esc+Ctrl though works just fine.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:38 pm   

Quote:
The bad thing that now, in 2.05, I forced press Ctrl+Esc or anything+Esc far too often now

Why? The only reason to use Ctrl-Esc is to put the command line script into the background. You should only need to do this if the command line script contains some sort of long processing loop. If you need to *abort* a script (like CMUD has hung), then you should be pressing ESC by itself, just like in past versions. Ctrl-ESC does not help with hung scripts...it just puts the command line thread into a background thread.

When you press Ctrl-ESC (or whatever variable you are using), you will not see any immediate visual effect. Unless the command line was frozen, in which case now you should be able to type a new command.

And if someone has an idea on what better key combination to use for this, let me know. I had forgotten about all of the Windows functions that were tied to the ESC key.
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:09 am   

How about CTRL-` it is just a little ways under the ESC key, and believe that is the one used for setting the command line as verbatim for the entry (or is it the ' single quote). If I am not mixed up then it is sensible as the key already has one special function for the command line.
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:26 am   

The apostrophe changes the command-line script. Ctrl+` doesn't do anything, I don't think.

Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:39 am   

The ` key that Vijilante is talking about is the one with the ~ as the shifted key, and yes, Ctrl-` is the macro that is currently used to toggle the command line language (from zScript to Lua). So it's also taken.

The apostrophe is the ' key which has " as the shifted key, but it isn't anywhere near the ESC key on the keyboard. Americans call the ' an apostrophe (or single-quote), and call ` a back-quote, or back-tick, or just tick. The ` character isn't normally used in most US English text. When you have a conjunction, such as can't, it is using the ' apostrophe and not the ` back-quote.

The key for setting Verbatim command line is Ctrl-R. The ` back-tick is used as the "line escape" character when it is the first character on the command line.

But also, this might be different on non-US keyboards. I've never seen a UK keyboard, for example.
Seb
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:54 am   

And laptop keyboards are often different again for those sorts of characters. I think Shift-Escape is fine.
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:05 am   

Ctrl+` doesn't actually change the command line language - check the shortcut that's listed on the Options menu. It could be that my UK keyboard layout is messing with it, but for me it's definitely Ctrl+' that changes the language. I did report that ages ago.

Seb
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:09 am   

I have a UK laptop keyboard and I can confirm that it is Ctrl-' for us to change the language.
Tech
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:44 am   

I can confirm that on US (at least my Thinkpad T60) it's Ctrl+` (i.e. the back tick.)
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:47 pm   

On the UK keyboard, what is the shifted character for the ' key? Is it the ~ character? That is what the US keyboard has. Also, where is the key that has the " quotes. On the US keyboard, the unshifted " key is the ' key and is located just to the left of the Enter key.
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:49 pm   

The " is Shift+2. Shift+' is @. Full list here.

Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:48 pm   

How weird! ... I mean, how "different" :) Thanks for the link to that picture. Not sure I'll change anything, but it's good to know the differences. I should update the help file for the keyboard shortcuts to indicate the differences.
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:08 pm   

No, it is weird. I understand that room had to be made for the £ key and that's why we have an extra key, but @ and " being swapped really is strange.

Seb
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:59 pm   

The weird thing, IMO, is that the ` key is actually in the same place on the UK keyboard as the US keyboard and yet the keyboard shortcut for changing the scripting language doesn't use the same ` key.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:29 pm   

Yes, that's definitely very strange. CMUD uses the "virtual key code" that is returned from Windows, and you'd think that the ` key on both keyboards would return the same key code. I don't understand that at all.
Seb
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:40 pm   

Our shift-` is ¬ though, and yours is ~. So I suppose it's not quite the same key.
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:03 pm   

You would think that the ¬ and the £ would have been together on the new key, instead of shuffling everything around.
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:29 pm   

Well, I've no idea what the ¬ is for: this is about the first time I've used it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: