Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
snoop_bob

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:38 am   

Help Getting onto Mud!!!

This isn't something directly to do with zMud, because it's happening with all of the mud clients I've tried... but I use zMud normally, and you guys that post on here are normally more onto-it then me... so here goes:

I'm trying to log onto a mud from my Uni, but it won't allow me to... it keeps saying something about "Unable to create connceting socket."

I think it is something that the admin has done to stop people playing games etc...

Any ideas how to get around it?????
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:21 am   

Ok... it sounds like your you mud is down or you are having connectivity problems.

Here are a couple things to try. Try telneting to your MUD from the command line.
If that works, then it probably means that's your firewall is blocking your mud client(s).

If it fails, try disabling your firewall and then attempt to connect. If that works then you need to configure your firewall to allow zMUD to connect.

If it fails, confirm that your MUD is still up and available. Try connecting from another computer. You can also try connecting to another MUD to see if you are able to do that.
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:57 am   

If you mean a computer owned by your Uni (one that's on their intranet) then they'll definitely have a firewall blocking telnet traffic.

If you mean your own computer in your room in Uni halls, it's possible that it still counts as part of their intranet and they're still blocking telnet traffic. I know that Cardiff University does this. If this is the case, contact your Computer People and ask them if they allow telnet traffic from halls on whatever port you're trying to use. If they say they don't, ask them why not :P

It's possible (albeit unlikely) that you'll be able to punch through this protection using PuTTY and forwarding your Telnet connection as HTTP traffic. This isn't a simple process if you don't know anything about PuTTY or SSH - there's a thread on the forums somewhere about using PuTTY to forward a MUD's telnet connection, but it doesn't use HTTP. You'll have to do your own reading on that. You'll also want to check whether your uni lets you do this (don't want to get in trouble).

If your computer isn't part of the Uni intranet and you still can't connect, then try using telnet.exe as Tech suggests.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
snoop_bob

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:22 am   

Okay, it IS- a uni computer... so it looks like I'll have to try the PuTTY thing... but I have no idea how, any quick explainations to help me?
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:55 am   

Unfortunately there isn't really a quick explanation (at least that I'm aware of.)

But basically you have to use PuTTY to set up and SSH tunnel to HTTP. I found this link. Hopefully it helps.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:14 am   

I begin to read the said links, and it completely confuses me.

I'm using Windows and I have no idea of any of the system details poxy names and ports, where do i find these?
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:26 am   

I'm sorry to say that if you don't know what these mean then there's not much more advice I can give.

Proxy is the name of the server that your university uses to redirect browser traffic. The port is a basically a network "line" that your computer programs communicate on. If your IP address is your telephone number your port would be the extension.

I don't know if that cleared anything up, but if it didn't then you may be better off getting a CompSci buddy at Uni to help you out.
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:19 am   

Like the guide says, the proxy details are either in the configuration script, or in the Internet Options.

Unfortunately, most Unis stop you accessing the Internet Options page, and I have no idea how you'd go about downloading the configuration script. There's probably someone out there who's already done it for your network, though, like Tech says.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:31 pm   

Also, you should be very careful with what you are trying to do. Many universities block Telnet/Mudding on their network for a reason, and if you start tampering with firewalls or proxy settings, you might find yourself in a lot of trouble. I really suggest that you contact the people at the Univ in charge on the computers or network, tell them what you want to do, and get some official help on setting it up.
seamer
Magician

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:59 pm   

Does the mudconnector site still allow mudding via a java applet?

Goes against zMUD, a little...but its an option to try if nothing else works or is too complicated

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:19 pm   

nope, can't use telnet or java. :((((
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: