Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Venka
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:15 am   

No Obvious Exits & mapping

Hi :)

My mud has many rooms that have "No obvious Exits" - there are exits but you just can't see them. When I am mapping & enter one of these room the mapper does not create the room. I end up having to manually place the room & do all of the links, blah, blah.

What do others do in this situation? Also, how do you get the room data to reload. I thought tht if i was in mapping mode & used Look (from the mapper's menu) it was supposed to update the room info, but that is not happening. Is there some setting that I need to set to make it actually reload the room data?

Thanks!

Venka
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:23 am   

(If you're creating manually, make sure you use the #nodir command to remove the failed movement command from the queue before you continue mapping)

#trig {There are no obvious exits} {#tag exits}

The reason the mapper doesn't detect these rooms is because the first thing it looks for is the exit line, and then works its way backwards to the name and description. It obviously doesn't think that this is a valid exit line, so it's not recognising the room.

My hope is that the trigger above will tell the mapper what the exit line is. I have a similar line in one of my triggers, but there are so few no-exit rooms on the MUD I play that I haven't managed to test it. If this doesn't work, we can probably come up with something else.

PS. You might need to reconfigure the mapper to get this to work. Try it without and see.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
Venka
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:46 am   

Ok - thank you for being so helpful!

I'll test this out tomorrow & report back :)
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:06 pm   

Detection of the room aside, what form do the unobvious exits take? If they are just directional commands (north, south, east, west, etc) that are only mentioned in the room description then once the room is detected you don't have to do anything special. Just move in that direction and it should create a room.

If just moving like that doesn't create a room, or you use a non-direction command (ie, GO DOOR), the easiest method is the MapDir character:

>game command (ie, go door)>direction (ie, e)

Game command can be anything you want, ranging from zscript commands, aliases, or even multiple game commands. There's a character limit, however, so the longer scripts and game command sequences will have to be kept in aliases (room scripts would be perfect for this, but you can also just create them in either of the Automapper classes in your settings). Game commands are also subject to spam limits and type-ahead rules regarding your mud.

Direction is any of the 10 compass directions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: