Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
vey2000
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:22 am   

zone script bug

Ok, so I added a zone script for a zone and noticed that it wasn't working. Then I moved to a nearby area and suddenly noticed that the script was executed.

Anyway, after some more experimenting and finally even opening the map database in ms access I noticed that the mapper seems to be setting the script to the wrong area. An area connected to the area where it's supposed to be set. I've tried it with several area and they all get the scripts set for a nearby area.

Ok, after a bit more testing it seems that it does set it properly for some areas. Let's see if I can figure out the common denominator for which areas it sets incorrectly.

Ah, it seems that it only gets it wrong if my position is set to the area where I'm setting the script. The reason those other areas got set properly (checking it through access btw, which updates immediately) was because I was going through the area list, right click, properties, etc. So my position wasn't ever set in the area. If I do this for the current area it does set it to the wrong area again, however.
chris-74269
Magician

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:30 pm   

my guess is this, the zone script is activated when you move into the current zone, similar to how a room script works.
vey2000
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:48 pm   

Yes, but that's not what I meant. I was referring to the act of adding a script to a zone. Some more searching later on turned up a few other posts from a while ago (like 2005 I think) that also reported this same bug. I guess it was never fixed back then, however.

The only workaround which seemed to work consistently was this: Set current location in a zone (B) that is not connected to the zone (A) where you want to add a script. Then open the zone (A) you want to add a script to. Then from the zone list, right click on zone (A) and go to properties. Write the script and accept.

Anything else I tried didn't seem to work consistently.
chris-74269
Magician

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:38 am   

I just did some testing and the zone script is pretty inconsistent and bugged up. I did a simple zone script of #show test while in a current zone, and this script only fired when leaving the zone rather than upon entering it.
vey2000
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:41 am   

That's because it probably got set to the nearby zone B. So it didn't fire when you left area A but rather when you entered area B from area A. If you open up the map database in MS Access you'll easily see which zone got set with the script.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: