Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Seb
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:53 am   

"Recent forum posts" problem with multi-page thread

I noticed this ages ago, but figured it was a bug in phpbb. Maybe it isn't since I now realise how much Zugg has customized these forums. Either way, it might be nice to fix it!

Basically, I often use http://forums.zuggsoft.com/index.php?page=2 to determine what post to read. Along the left hand side are recently posted to threads ("Recent forum posts"). Clicking on a link takes you down to the latest post in that thread, BUT it only ever takes you to page 1, no matter which page the post is actually on. If the latest post isn't in page 1, the #anchor obviously cannot be found and the display stays at the top of page 1.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:06 am   

Yep, that's true. It's an issue with the PHPBB code. It has no way to tell that the anchor is on a different page.

However, the way I use that list gets around the problem: notice that there is a small icon next to the name of the most recent poster? Clicking on that icon will take you to the exact post, even if it's on a different page.

Also, today I increased the number of replies per page from 15 to 25, so there is a better chance what you want will already be on the first page.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:07 am   

And yes, the Topic Title is declared as a VARCHAR(60) in the PHPBB database table, which is why your title gets cut off. I might try to change this, but I don't know what kinds of side effects it might have. I'll have to do some Google search on that to make sure it's safe to change.
Seb
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:29 am   

Zugg wrote:
However, the way I use that list gets around the problem: notice that there is a small icon next to the name of the most recent poster? Clicking on that icon will take you to the exact post, even if it's on a different page.

Cunning! I never noticed that that icon was a link! Or at least a different link.

So I suppose it would be possible to use the same code that does the href for that icon (which works nicely) and use it in the link with the problem?
Seb
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:30 am   

Zugg wrote:
And yes, the Topic Title is declared as a VARCHAR(60) in the PHPBB database table, which is why your title gets cut off. I might try to change this, but I don't know what kinds of side effects it might have. I'll have to do some Google search on that to make sure it's safe to change.

In my experience with SQL databases and scripting languages, increasing the width of a column never breaks anything (although it doesn't always actually help because of restrictions in other places).
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:43 am   

Well that's what I meant. I know the database will be fine. But if I increase the database field, and then increase the form input field, is there somewhere else in the PHP code somewhere that depends upon the title being 60 characters or less?
nexela
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:28 am   

Changing subject length (1 code change form input size in TPL file, and 2 database alterations)

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=313051
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:45 am   

Cool, thanks Nexela! I went ahead and changed the database to allow up to 120 chars, but I changed the posting form to limit the title to 80 so that people don't get too carried away. This will let me change it easily later without making database changes.

(Note the fixed title of this thread now :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » Website or Forum problems All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: