Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Zwartje
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:37 pm   

Lost command bar

This is probably something stupid, but I somehow lost my command bar (yes, the line where you type info to go to the mud).

I closed down CMUD and started over, but upon connecting to my mud again, i see the mud output window and no command bar.

Any ideas?
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:39 pm   

Try right-clicking on the mud output window and then turn off the Command Line option in the window options, then right click again and turn the Command Line option back on again. Toggling this seems to restore the command line in most cases.
Zwartje
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:43 pm   

Afraid toggling it didnt work for me.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:50 pm   

Exit and restart CMUD and when you click on the Open Offline action command, hold down the Shift key before clicking. This should prevent the *.XLY layout file from being loaded for that session. Or, you can just delete the *.XLY layout file. It sounds like your layout file got corrupted somehow. I've never seen any case where toggling the command line option didn't restore the command line.
Zwartje
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:51 pm   

Hmm, it seems my command bar is now levitating in the middle of my mud output window. Just a white rectangle in which to type text, no way to drag, move, click it...
Zwartje
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:04 pm   

Ok, holding shift while clicking on 'open offline session' restored the layout it seems.
Thanks you!
AndyH

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:34 am   

My command bar is also gone. Holding down shift does not help. It is there briefly but then vanishes, all I am left with are the trigger and parse icons - no space to type anything in.

I am using Vista Home Premium.

Update:
Unticking the 'use layout' button from edit session got me the command line back. And deleting the layout file also worked ;)
cypren
Wanderer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:21 pm   

I've seen this same bug as well, usually following a crash when closing/exiting. Looks like something is corrupting layout files.

I'm running Vista as well, by the way, so we may have a common thread here.
Guinn
Wizard

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:55 pm   

Just to chime in, I've seen it before and am using Vista. I can't remember how I fixed it - I think it was by deleting the xly file. Toggling it didn't work because it was already enabled.
Larkin
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:45 pm   

I see this problem when I open three sessions, and nothing I do can make all three windows appear with their command lines intact. I ended up with a window that had two command line bars once, and both of them mimicked the text from the other as I typed, so it wasn't like the "middle" session's command line was just docked on the wrong window. Also, I'm not using Vista. I'm on XP SP2.
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:41 pm   

Definately an issue from simultanious open sessions.
I had the twin command bar as well... in the end it only went away when i unchecked the use saved layout option.
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:11 pm   

Do your three windows all have unique names? I think the toolbar system stores the command line with an internal name based upon the window the command line is displayed in. I just opened three different sessions here and the command line all worked. So are you opening three copies of the same session, or different sessions?

Also, if the command line disappears, sometimes resizing the window will bring it back. The stupid toolbar system "wraps" the command line toolbar to a new line if the command line is too long, and then only displays the bottom line of icons on the toolbar, which then shows the trigger and parse icons, but not the command line. Resizing the window will sometimes fix this and unwrap the toolbar.
Larkin
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:24 pm   

My three windows have three different names and do not share any packages or layout files. I open one and it's fine, of course. I open the second one, and it's a tiny window placed behind my first window. I have to go to the Window menu and select the second session and then drag the window up to the tab bar to dock it. I open the third one, and the same tiny window behind my other windows happens again, except this time I get a floating command line in one of the sessions. I'll see if I can document every single thing I did from the very start (clean install and all) to make this happen reliably...
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:06 pm   

It sounds like the *.XLY layout files are messed up for those sessions. When you do a clean start, be sure to remove any *.XLY layouts to let CMUD create new ones. I just tried 3 sessions here and didn't see these problems with them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: