Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
mikeC130
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:12 pm   

Help with non-standard movement

I am having a couple problems with mapping and moving using non-standard movements.

There are areas of water in the world, where the required command is "swim (direction)", as in swim e or swim w. I realize that the > command for associating the command with a direction is not working in CMUD, but I was wondering if there was any other way to do it, and most particularly to have the link at the other end automatically pick the opposite direction from the entry. Currently it sets it to the 'other' direction, and I end up trying to manually edit the connections before I drown.

I am also unable to get the mapper to recognize "in" and "out" as directions. Following a tip on the MUDs forums, I created new directions using 'v' and 'r' associated with other and using in and out as commands, but those keys do not result in the appropriate commands being sent and the mapper doesn't recognize exits on the map unless I add them manually with the appropriate command.

I have made up a few (very) simple triggers and macros, but I can't seem to find the information I need to automate this process.

Is this something that can be done without a masters degree in scripting, or am I better off staying on dry land until after the new mapping module is done?

Thanks for the help.

Mike
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:25 pm   

For "in" and "out", I use normal links with a custom command set. You can do it easily on the exits tab of the room properties menu.

As for swimming, I use a trigger on the "You need to swim in that direction" message to send "swim %lastdir".

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
Larkin
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:33 pm   

When you create a new direction (#DIRECTION) in zMUD, the letters you assign are not macros on the keyboard. They are just internal tracking for the map database. You still need to set macros (I use INS and DEL) for going in and out (or up and down). The automapper detects that you are going "in" when you make a new room and parses the direction using the setting you created (v = in, r = out, and v and r are defined as opposite directions of one another) to make the new exit with the custom commands. If you map them as "other," there are sometimes problems getting the direction to draw correctly when created, but you can just clean that up manually and it'll stay.
mikeC130
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:13 pm   

Ah, thank you very much. I'll look at assigning a couple macros then and see what happens.

On the other hand, my mapper seems to have died. It won't follow me around, find exits, or anything else for that matter :(

I've had to delete the map file (BIG :( ) and start over. Starting over the PKG files as well and now I've got all sorts of problems. I don't think I'm going to get to it for a while at this point.

Mike.
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:22 pm   

Don't delete it :O

You might still be able to convert it later on into the new CMUD mapper.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
mikeC130
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:31 am   

Here's hoping.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: