Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
crycry
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:33 pm   

[1.23 - 1.24] string list variables resetting

Hey all, Im still getting stringlist variables resetting for no reason, and as far as i can see, pretty randomly.

These variables have no #var commands acting on them at any time either. I cant seem to track down the circumstances that it happens, and when it happens to one, it doesnt happen to the other that i have. But it can be either one that resets.

edit: ive done a bit of detective work, and based on whats stored now in the reset list, im 98% sure that its happening on upgrade and that its happening to all string list variables. these variables are held in their own seperate packages.

XP Pro SP2
cMud 1.24

Last edited by crycry on Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:36 pm   

Without some way to reproduce it, I have no idea how to track something like this down. If you have a package that resets the string list variables when it is loaded, then you can send me the package and I can try it here.
crycry
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:49 pm   

okies.. im pretty sure its got something to do with multi-sessions.. but again, its not all the time. very odd..

sorry i cant be more specific, ill keep trying to narrow it down.

its not the upgrade issue as its happened today as well, on one package but not the other, which is strange, cos it was on the other package yesterday, and not this one.

the 2 sessions are not sharing the same package files either, ive checked that bit.

will keep trying to replicate it.

XP Pro SP2
cMud 1.24

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:34 am   

reset all my stringlist vars on update to 1.24.

XP Pro SP2
cMud 1.24

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:27 pm   

Well, maybe next year I'll be able to figure out what causes this. Fortunately it shouldn't effect many people, especially if it only happens during updates.
Yaldair
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:50 pm   

My script that I posted on public library has one variable (not even a string list) reset each time.

Never managed to find out why either, but since it's not that big of a deal in said script I published it anyway.

Would be the WoTMUD - receiptlocator.

The container variable is one that kept resetting.

edit:

Just after I started cmud after this morning, it didn't reset this time for the first time!
crycry
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:09 pm   reset

woot! i found what it is.

string lists only reset (on my copy anyway) when the type drop down box is set to autotype, or string list and the number of items gets to be more then roughly 10. If you set it to string (literal), therefore seperated by | it doesnt do it.

if anyone can confirm this, id be incredibly grateful, this is proving a nightmare to track down.

XP Pro SP2
cMud 1.24

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:44 pm   

I can't confirm it happening, but my stringlist variable is being type-converted to String (literal) or String (expanded) (I forget which it is). Everything works, however, so it's probably just a gui bug.
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 10:31 am   

okies, the cause of this is so simple im annoyed i didnt notice it earlier, i can replicate it every time

simply, logging on another char to the same mud, with a new session window, always resets the string list on the other char, even though that package isnt available to the new session.

i suspect maybe that this is related to the problem with status windows failing to display variables after the other session has been logged off. some weird data corruption going on.

its taken me freaking ages to narrow down whats been happening.. but this is definatly it. it wasnt updates after all.

XP Pro SP2
cMud 1.24
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: